Careers at University of Utah Health Care
Surgery & Medicine
Surgery & Medicine is a 36-bed medical/surgical unit caring for adult and geriatric patients admitted from more than 15 clinical service areas. Our nurses are integral members of multidisciplinary teams that assess, diagnose, and treat patients with a range of challenging medical conditions, providing both a broad-based experience in patient care and the opportunity to develop expertise in particular areas, including:
- General surgery
- Transplant surgery
- Burn/trauma surgery
- Vascular surgery
- Plastic surgery
- General medicine
- Pulmonary medicine
- Orthopedic surgery
- Other services as necessary
If you come to work on Surgery & Medicine you can expect:
- An orientation program designed with your educational and personal needs in mind, including the opportunity to work with a preceptor chosen specifically based on your requirements and personality. As a new graduate nurse, your orientation will last a minimum of six weeks.
- A flexible work schedule of eight-hour shifts, 12-hour shifts or a combination of both.
- A supportive management team that believes in open communication and teamwork. We encourage our nurses to submit ideas to improve patient care and work practices.
- Educational opportunities only a major teaching hospital can offer. We regularly provide in-services from physicians who admit patients to our units, as well as from other clinical areas.