|Principal Investigator: BrentWilson|
|Keywords: Echocardiography , Left atrial thrombus||Department: Cardiovascular Medicine|
|IRB Number: 00058561||Co Investigator: Chris McGann|
|Specialty: Cardiology, Pathology, Cardiology, Cardiology, Cardiology, Internal Medicine, General|
|Sub Specialties: Body Imaging, Cardiac Pathology, Cardiac Imaging, Echocardiography, Thrombosis|
Our objective is to determine if using Optison echocardiography contrast increases sensitivity and specificity of detecting left atrial appendage thrombus in transesophageal echocardiography studies as opposed to standard 2D and 3D TEE imaging without the use of echo contrast.
Patients referred to the University of Utah Echocardiography Lab for for a transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) will be included in the study.
Subjects must be
(1) > 18 years old
(2) Able to provide consent
(3) Indicated for TEE as a standard clinical procedure to evaluate cardiac health status
Patients will be excluded for meeting the contraindications for Optison administration.
1. Right-to-left, bi-directional, or transient right-to-left cardiac shunts
2. Hypersensitivity to perflutren, blood, blood products or albumin
3. Women who are or who may become pregnant (since Optison may have effects on the fetus that are currently unknown). Women who are practicing approved contraceptive measure (abstinence, male or female condoms, on contraceptive pills, injection, ring or having mechanical devices such as IUDs) will be allowed to participate.
4. Removal of Left Atrial Appendage