As parents, we know to keep cleaning solutions, medicine and alcohol safely out of kids’ reach. But those aren’t the only dangerous items at home. “Many children have been accidentally poisoned by household items you may not expect,” says Marty Malheiro, the outreach coordinator at the Utah Poison Control Center. Here are four poisonous items commonly found at home that should be kept out of reach.
Brightly colored laundry and dish detergent pods look similar to candy and may tempt young children. “Pods contain concentrated chemicals, making them extremely harmful if ingested,” Malheiro says. Use the same caution with detergent as you would other cleaning supplies.
“The most common household items kids get into is fluoride toothpaste,”
Malheiro says. “While swallowing a tiny bit while brushing isn’t cause for
concern, ingesting large amounts could have serious adverse effects.” Always supervise children brushing their teeth, and keep toothpaste and mouthwash out of reach.
Lotions and Creams
“Other poisonous household products we frequently receive calls about are lotions and creams,” Malheiro says. These products smell good and are packaged in bright, pretty containers that tempt young children. Make sure to put them away after use.
Many children’s vitamins are manufactured to look and taste like candy. But consuming too many is harmful. “Vitamins and minerals rank as the fourth most common call to the Poison Center involving children under age 6,” Malheiro says. “Adults should dispense the correct dose, then put the bottle out of reach.”
If you think your child ingested something dangerous, call the Poison Center at 800-222-1222. The sooner you get help, the better the chances of a good outcome.