What Do You Know About Addiction?
Addiction is a chronic brain disease that can be caused by abusing drugs or alcohol. Over time, addiction changes the structure and function of the brain. Find out more about addiction by taking this quiz.
1. Addiction can begin when a person uses drugs, but addiction involves more than just using a lot of drugs.
2. Addiction is usually progressive and continues to worsen over time.
3. Signs of addiction include increased tolerance to a substance and withdrawal symptoms when a person stops or reduces the use of the substance.
4. People often develop addiction in a day or two.
5. Addiction can cause a lack of control over thoughts, feelings, ideas, or behaviors.
6. People have addiction when their use continues despite negative effects on their life.
7. Whether physical and/or psychological, addiction can be overcome.
8. An addict in recovery should recognize that owning up to the addiction doesn’t mean he or she is a bad person.
9. An important step toward recovery is accepting that change must occur.