Take the Seniors and HIV/AIDS Quiz
Twenty-five percent of all people in the U.S. with HIV/AIDS are age 50 or older, and the number of older people diagnosed with HIV/AIDS each year is increasing.
1. If you are infected with HIV, you will definitely get AIDS.
2. HIV can be passed from one person to another by shaking hands.
3. If you are sexually active, it's important to know your partner's sexual history.
4. Only drug abusers have to worry about the dangers of sharing needles.
5. The nation's blood supply is screened for HIV, so blood transfusions are safe.
6. Almost 25 percent of all Americans who have HIV/AIDS are 50 or older.
7. People ages 50 and older may not recognize HIV symptoms in themselves because they think that what they are feeling and experiencing is part of normal aging.
8. Doctors may not think to look for HIV in older adults.
9. Many older people infected with HIV would rather suffer in silence than tell friends or family about their illness.
10. If you get treatment early enough, you can be cured of HIV infection.