What Do You Know About Smokeless Tobacco?
Smokeless tobacco may seem less harmful than smoking. But the health problems caused by smokeless tobacco include increased heart rate, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and mouth sores.
1. Many people consider chewing tobacco safer than cigarettes because it's not smoked.
2. Smokeless tobacco comes in several forms.
3. Smokeless tobacco, e-cigarettes, and water pipes or hookahs all have nicotine in them and so are a health risk.
4. Symptoms of oral cancer include sores on the inside of the mouth that don't heal; pain, numbness, or tenderness in the mouth or lips; and a lump, or small eroded area in the mouth.
5. Other health problems caused by smokeless tobacco include increased heart rate, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and mouth sores.
6. Oral cancer that is localized can be cured if it is caught in its early stage.
7. A pinch of smokeless tobacco has about as much nicotine as 1 cigarette.
8. Because there's no smoke, chewing tobacco doesn't increase the risk for death from heart disease and stroke.
9. Chewing tobacco stains your teeth.
10. To kick the chewing habit, talk with your health care provider about using a nicotine patch.