Take The Vocal Quiz
Hoarseness is a general term that describes abnormal voice changes. When you are hoarse, your voice may sound breathy, raspy, or strained, or there may be changes in volume (loudness) or pitch (how high or low the voice is).
1. Excessive talking or yelling can strain or injure the vocal cords.
2. Lawyers and teachers are particularly susceptible to vocal abuse and misuse problems.
3. Laryngitis is a common result of vocal abuse and misuse.
4. Vocal nodules are also known as "singer's nodes."
5. The voice of someone with laryngitis will often sound raspy, breathy, and hoarse.
6. Vocal polyps have been linked to cigarette smoking.
7. If you have hoarseness or vocal change that continues for more than a month, you should be checked by a doctor.
8. Most disorders of vocal abuse and misuse are reversible.