Take the Weight-Training Safety Quiz
Many Americans do weight- or resistance-training programs to improve their health and fitness. The following quiz can help you find out if you know enough about strength training to start a program yourself.
1. It's important to check with your doctor before beginning a weight-training program.
2. To avoid injury when weight training, drink plenty of water while lifting.
3. It doesn't matter which type of shoes you wear.
4. Weight-training programs can be done with free weights or weight machines.
5. Don't work any muscle group more than 3 times a week.
6. Rest each muscle group at least 2 days between workouts.
7. Work larger muscle groups such as the legs, chest, and back before the smaller ones such as shoulders and arms.
8. Rest between sets to give your muscles a chance to recover.
9. It's safe to hold your breath when you lift.