Acute Internal Medicine Patient Assistance
To assist the staff on the Acute Medical Unit in “comfort care” and customer service for patients and their families.
Unit Charge Nurse at beginning of each shift for assigned duties
Monday through Friday: 8 a.m. to noon, noon to 4 p.m. and 4 to 8 p.m.
Must complete hospital volunteer orientation prior to volunteering.
- Complete department orientation prior to first volunteer shift
- Notifies charge nurse if first shift on unit in order to receive orientation and tour of unit
- Orient new patients and their families to their room – lights, tv, call button, bathroom, wipe off board, telephone #, visiting hours, etc (use orientation checklist in white admission folder that all patients receive)
- Escort patients being discharged if needed
- Escort the dietary associate as he/she passes trays to assist patients with the set up of their meal
- Assist patients with limitations with meals as requested
- Visit with patients that may not have visitors
- Get books and/or movies for patients
- Utilizes activity closet for extra activities at patient’s request
- Assist family members needing direction to the cafeteria, Starbucks, pharmacy or other areas of the hospital
- Stock unit clean utility rooms with extra stock in unit supplies room
- Stock patient room “supply plastic bins” and BSP supplies outside of each patient’s room (supplies in copy room & may need charge nurse assistance in getting some supplies out of omnicell
- Stock the blanket warmers (North & South Medrooms & West hallway clean utility room)
- Take empty patient food trays out of room (always show staff member the tray before placing on dirty cart so they can document the percentage of food eaten)
- Other duties as requested by the staff
- Light cleaning and dusting in nursing stations