Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP)
- Visit hospitalized older adult patients daily and provide assistance with orienting, therapeutic activities, walking and/or exercising, and meal assistance
- Provide empathetic support as well as companionship for older patients and families coping with acute illness and hospitalization
Elder Life Specialist
Division of Geriatrics
Varies, Monday through Friday
**A minimum time commitment of one shift per week for six months is required
- Reliable and caring; enjoy working with older patients
- Discreet, empathetic behavior and ability to exercise diplomacy in talking to patients, patient’s family and staff
- Ability to work independently and assume responsibility while providing non-clinical care
- Ability to refer questions to staff as needed
- Complete 12 hours of HELP Classroom Volunteer Training, & Complete Shadowing shifts (follow experienced volunteer, be followed by experienced volunteer).
- Daily visits to patients enrolled in HELP to provide support and orienting communication
- Participate in the therapeutic activities program by providing mentally stimulating activities at the bedside such as trivia, current events, etc.
- Assist in the early mobilization program by walking active patients and performing range of motion exercises with bedridden patients
- Provide assistance and companionship during meals
- Assist HELP staff members as requested which may include patient rounding on the units, office work assistance, etc.