Surgery Waiting Room
To act as an advocate for families of patients undergoing surgery and to provide information and assistance.
Patient Advocate Coordinator
8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. & 12:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m. & 5 p.m. - 8 p.m Monday - Friday
Must be 18 or over
- Pick-up the SWR update sheets from the Information Desk. (The surgery waiting room update sheets are confidential, do not leave unattended!)
- Proceed to the third (3) floor SWR and introduce self to families and visitors.
- Work closely with the Nurse Liaison to obtain patient surgery updates.
- Inform the Nurse Liaison if any family members ask for consultation.
- Answer the telephone.
- Use the paging system to page family members to the desk if necessary.
- Make rounds to the Short Stay Unit.
- Update surgery status schedule for Information Desk hourly, indicating time of update on the schedule.
- Reassure families and report to them on status of patient after updates are completed.
- Make rounds to the PACU (recovery room) and surgery board as necessary.
- Maintain tidiness in the SWR.
- Report any maintenance or housekeeping issues to the Environmental Services Help Desk 1-2253.
- Call the Nurse Liaison and the Volunteer Office If unable to make your shift