Emergency Department Waiting Room
Volunteers assigned to the Emergency Department Waiting Room act as an advocate to patients, families of patients and visitors.
Daily 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Must be 18 or over. Must have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Primary goal of ED Waiting Room volunteer is to ensure the comfort of ED patients, families and visitors in the ED Waiting Room.
- Introduce yourself to the ED patients, families and visitors.
- Inform patient's primary nurse if family members are requesting patient information.
- Inform the Charge Nurse of any family members they need to speak with.
- The only information the ED Waiting Room volunteer may give out is the patient location in the ED; other requests for patient information should be directed to the patient's primary nurse.
- Maintain tidiness in the ED waiting room and bathroom. Report any maintenance or housekeeping issues to the Environmental Services Help Desk at 801-581-2253.
- Assist with DVDs, crayons and coloring books for children.
- If you are unable to make your shift, please call the ED Charge Nurse at 801-581-2292 and the Volunteer Office as soon as possible.