Voluteering In the Emergency Room
To support the emergency room staff
Volunteer service coordinator
Open to all Health Sciences students and adults (Must be 18 or over)
- Check in with the charge nurse at the beginning of each shift.
- Receive direction from the emergency room staff.
- Introduce self as a volunteer to the staff and patients.
- Make patient rounds (leave door open), offer reassurance.
- Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality at all times.
- Ensure that all patients have access to "call lights" except in rooms 13 and 14 (these are psych rooms).
- Pick-up labs.
- Transport patients to X-Ray and/or MRI, as requested.
- Escort patients to rooms.
- Give assistance to clerical staff when requested.
- Do not review or write any patient information in patient charts.
- Do not participate in any clinical procedures.
- Do not wear scrubs.
The following observed signs or patient complaint should be called to a nurse's attention
- Breathing difficulty
- Severe pain
- Chest pain of any kind
- Convulsive activity