Radon

Radon is a radioactive gas that you can't see, taste, or smell. Inhaling it over time may cause lung cancer. Radon can be found in any type of building, but you have a higher risk of long-term exposure to radon in your home. 30% of homes in Utah have radon levels higher than 4 pCi/L (picoCuries of radon per liter of air). Homes with this radon level should take action, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Test Your Home

The only way to know if your home has radon is by testing. The EPA and Surgeon General recommend that all homes—old and new—be tested. Testing is affordable and easy to do.Kits for testing radon can be ordered online at www.radon.utah.gov or bought at a hardware store. The test you use should be marked "Meets EPA Requirements."

Take Action

If your home has high levels of radon, it can be fixed by an EPA Certified Mitigator. The average cost for this is around $1,200. New homes can be built with radon-resistant features.

View our Radon Awareness Social Media Toolkit, designed by Huntsman Cancer Institute to help public health professionals better understand the benefits of social media use and help them to establish a radon awareness social media campaign, implement Facebook and Twitter best practices, and evaluate their social media efforts.

For More Information

Contact the G. Mitchell Morris Cancer Learning Center by calling 1-888-424-2100 toll free, texting "askhci" to 66746, or emailing cancerinfo@hci.utah.edu. Also, view the National Cancer Institutle's factsheet about Radon and Cancer.