Cancer Genetics Study
What is the Cancer Genetics Study?
Some cancers and tumors are caused by inherited factors that are passed down in families through genes. Genes are the set of instructions inside each cell that tell the body how to develop and function properly. Sometimes people are born with alterations in their genes that make them more likely to get certain types of cancers or tumors compared to other people.
Who can participate in the study?
- Anyone with multiple primary tumors
- Anyone diagnosed with a tumor before age 50
- People from families with an identified genetic mutation or with a medical history suggesting specific hereditary cancer syndromes
- People with two or more first- or second-degree relatives with cancer
- People from families where at least one family member was diagnosed with cancer or tumor before age 50
- Anyone who has been diagnosed with a tumor or cancer that may suggest an inherited cancer risk
If I participate, what will I do?
- Fill out questionnaires about your medical and family history
- Have the option to donate a sample of blood, saliva, and/or cheek cells
- Consent to allow the study to obtain tumor samples
- Be contacted periodically to update your medical and family history
- Be contacted if you are eligible for other studies in the future
Where do I get more information?
If you have questions or would like more information about the Cancer Genetics Study, please contact the study coordinator, Bella Johnson, at 801-585-7343 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information posted on this site is consistent with the research reviewed and approved by the University of Utah Institutional Review Board (IRB). However, the IRB has not reviewed all material posted on this site. Contact the IRB if you have questions regarding your rights as a research participant. Also contact the IRB if you have questions, complaints, or concerns which you do not feel you can discuss with the investigator. The University of Utah IRB may be reached by phone at (801) 581-3655 or by email at email@example.com.