Determine the line needed for therapy:
|PICC Line||MIDLINE (Not Central)|
|Double Lumen PICC
||Single Lumen PICC
Requesting Line Placement:
- Representative from MD office is to call or page the PICC team to make an appointment for the PICC or midline insertion. It is best if the arrangements are made at least 24 hours in advance, if possible.
- MD office will need to ensure that arrangements are made for home infusion services, if necessary.
- MD office will fax an order and a brief H & P to the PICC office. (Fax: 801-585-2793)
- MD office will notify the patient of their appointment time.
- For University of Utah outpatients, the MD office will instruct the patient to go to the Admitting Desk at the U Hospital. Upon arrival and check in, Admitting will page the PICC Team and we pick up the patient for the procedure, which will typically be done in the Emergency Room Observation Unit or Cath Lab Holding.
- For Hunstman Cancer Institute patients, we will meet the patient at the clinic once the patient arrives and we are paged. We often place the lines in the HCH Infusion Room or the HCH BMT Infusion Room.
- Following the line placement, the patient will be escorted to radiology for a single view chest xray. The PICC nurse will review the film, and if the line tip is in the appropriate place, will escort the patient back to the lobby or clinic and they can proceed home or to another appointment.
- If a patient is coming from a skilled nursing facility, they must have someone to accompany them during their entire visit.
PICC Team Manager
Pat Huot-Kentch, RN, BSN, VA-BC pager: 801-339-4764
PICC Team pager: 801-339-6425
Office Phone: 801-585-5636
Office Fax: 801-585-2793