Office Of Public Affairs
Families To Enjoy a Week of Fun, Healthy Activities at Be Well Utah
University of Utah Health Care, Regence team up to present state's largest free health fair
Aug 25, 2009 2:50 PM
SALT LAKE CITY (August 25, 2009) — Utah families will have an opportunity to participate in hundreds of healthy activities during Be Well Utah: A Family Health Week, September 8-12, 2009. Presented by University of Utah Health Care and Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah, Be Well Utah will feature complimentary health screenings, informative lectures with health care experts, and activities to encourage people to make healthy choices. Events will take place at various University of Utah Health Care locations, culminating with a fair on Saturday, Sept. 12 at the University of Utah campus. All activities are free.
“The purpose of Be Well Utah is to encourage Utah families to make healthy choices for their physical and mental well-being,” said Mary Talboys, LCSW, chair of Be Well Utah and service director for the University’s Neuropsychiatric Institute. “This five-day event is the largest free health fair in the state and has something for everyone in the family, from kids to seniors.”
Following is list of some activities scheduled for the health week and the Saturday fair. Visit www.heatlhcare.utah.edu/bewellutah for a complete list of events or call 801-587-6485.
Be Well Utah Schedule
Family Health Week, Tuesday-Friday, Sept. 8-11
Complimentary health screenings, family activities, and informative lectures by health experts at various locations along the Wasatch Front along with
- Walk the Golden Mile – A fun walk on the University of Utah campus with Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon, Sept. 9 at 9 a.m.
- Bike with Mayor Becker – Ride with Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker from Research Park to Washington Square and back. Sept. 10 at 8:30 a.m.
- Hike with the Wilson’s – Hike in Red Butte Garden with former Mayor Ted Wilson, his daughter County Council member Jenny Wilson and her sons. Sept. 10 at 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Fair Activities, Sept. 12
Held outdoors on the lawns immediately North of the Jon M. Huntsman Center (basketball arena) at the University of Utah from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Cooking demonstrations, recipes and tips
- Healthy snacks
- Health screenings
- Ask a Doctor
- Ask a Pharmacist
- Medication disposal: Safely dispose of unused or outdated medications at the Pharmacy booth
- Kids’ Corner: PBS characters Martha Speaks and Sid the Science Kid, Smokey the Bear, unicyclists, Live Reptiles!, puppet show, face painters, and children’s art activities
- Especially for Seniors: Medicare Q&A, How to Prevent Falls, and Driver Screenings
- Especially for Women: 7 Domains of Women’s Health, bone health, breast cancer detection, and nurse midwives
About University of Utah Health Care
University of Utah Health Care is the Intermountain West’s only academic health care system, combining excellence in patient care, the latest in medical research, and teaching to provide leading-edge medicine in a caring and personal setting. It is consistently ranked among US News & World Report’s Best Hospitals, and its academic partners at the University of Utah School of Medicine and Colleges of Nursing, Pharmacy, and Health are internationally regarded research and teaching institutions.
Regence is a leading health insurer in the Northwest / Mountain State Region, offering health, life and dental insurance. We serve nearly three million members as Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon, Regence BlueShield (selected counties in Washington), Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah and Regence BlueShield of Idaho. Each plan is a not-for-profit independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Regence is committed to improving the health of our members and our communities, and to transforming our health care system. For more information, please visit regence.com.
# # #
Public Affairs Office
Visit our News Archive for a complete list of previous News.