Requisitioning through Lawson
Reference the Regulations Library for University of Utah Procurement Policies.
University and Hospital policies and procedures require approvals for financial transactions. It is the responsibility of the user to obtain approval for purchases and document that the appropriate approval has been received.
- User must complete training in order to access Lawson. Register for a Lawson requester class online through ITS Training.
- Complete the Lawson Request Form and bring to your training class. This form must be completely filled out and contain the appropriate signatures prior to class.
- Access Lawson at http://lawson.med.utah.edu/lawson/portal/.
- Reference specific Purchasing policies regarding the appropriate use of Lawson.
- To request a vendor add: fill out the Vendor Add Form. Fax this form to Accounts/Payable at 801-297-4817. You will be notified by Tracy Schofield once the vendor has been added to Lawson.
- To request an item be added to the Item Master: fill out the Item File Request Form. You will be notified once your request has been processed and completed. Any questions, contact Terri Buchanan, 801-587-6539.
- To return product to a vendor: fill out the Return Authorization Form. Keep a copy for your records. Take the product and the form to the Receiving dock (or person responsible at your clinic for receiving) to complete the return process.
- Do not use a Lawson requisition for internal campus transactions. You can request campus orders from General Accounting, 801-581-6976.
- Use a Check Request for reimbursement for meals, subscriptions, membership fees, consulting fees, independent contractor fees and honorariums. Reference the detailed instructions on the Financial Services web page.
- Refer to the Meal Policy for important information regarding purchases of food and meals.
Business Meals, Refreshments, Recruiting or Entertainment
In order for the University to comply with Internal Revenue Service regulations, complete information is required when business meals, refreshments, recruiting or entertainment are purchased. Please read and follow the instructions below carefully:
- List the names of those in attendance (if 10 or less) or give the number of people in the group and a description of who they are. Descriptions must be complete.
- Provide the date and a detailed description of the business purpose of the meeting. Attach any available documentation that would describe the business purpose, such as an agenda or brochure.
- Avoid using abbreviations and acronyms.
Payment To or In Behalf of Non-Resident Aliens
The University of Utah must report all payments made to and in behalf of non-resident aliens to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Payments to non-resident aliens will be subject to tax withholding unless exempted pursuant to a tax treaty between their country of residence and the United States.
CLAIMING EXEMPTIONS: If the payment is exempted by tax treaty, the non-resident must provide the University with a completed and signed form 8233 (obtained from Tax Services, 408 Park Building).
PROCESSING TIME: To allow for sufficient processing time and to adhere to the 10-day waiting period required by the IRS, a completed and signed form 8233 and applicable statements must be in the office of Tax Services three (3) weeks prior to the date payment is due.
- copy of I-94 form (front & back)
- copy of Visa
- copy of Social Security Card or application for Social Security Number
TAXES WITHHELD: In the event that the non-resident alien (1) does not choose to file form 8233 and/or (2) does not qualify for an exemption, 30% of the proposed personal services payment will be withheld and remitted to the IRS.