Our Commitment to Quality
University of Utah Health Care is #1 in the nation for quality among university hospitals, marking seven years in the top ten. University of Utah Health Care was named the highest ranking academic medical center by Vizient Inc., and also took home its seventh consecutive Bernard A. Birnbaum, MD, Quality Leadership Award, formerly named the Quality Leadership Award—a winning streak matched by only one other health system in the U.S.
This is the second time University of Utah Health Care has achieved the No. 1 ranking among academic health care systems — we also claimed the honor in 2010. Just making Vizient's rankings places a health care system in elite company. This year, Vizient named 13 academic health systems for achieving excellence in quality and accountability, including NYU Langone, the Mayo Clinic and University of Michigan.
What It Means To Be The Nation's #1 Health System
In October of 2016, University of Utah Health Care (UUHC) received the #1 ranking in the nation for quality—joined by some of the top-ranked academic medical centers in the country.
And, we have been ranked in the top 10 in quality nationally for the past 7-years in a row!
Why Quality Matters To Us: Patients
These awards by Vizient (formerly University HealthSystem Consortium), whose membership includes 100 academic medical centers and more than 124 of their a liated hospitals, is meaningful to us in part because it is recognition of our work among our peer institutions. What we take the most pride in is what this ranking means for our patients and our community.
How Vizient Ranks Academic Medical Centers
Vizient's quality and safety award criteria includes 88 objective measures of care, including:
How Vizient Compares To Other Rating Systems
How are various health care quality rankings different?
- Based on actual care delivery – not reputation
- Provide a current view of performance based exclusively on past year
- Provide apples to apples comparison since academic medical centers care for the most complex and sickest patients in the country
|Patient Care Measurements||Medicare Only||All Adults|
|UUHC Rankings||U.S. News & World Report:
#1 Hospital in Utah
|Hospital Safety Score:
4 Stars, Top Rating in Utah
#1 in Quality Nationally
2016 Vizient Quality & Accountability Study Rankings
- University of Utah Health Care
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- Mayo Clinic Hospital-Rochester
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Froedtert Hospital
- Rush University Medical Center
- WVU Medicine West Virginia University Hospitals
- Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Cedars-Sinai Health System
- Houston Methodist
- Nebraska Medicine
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- University of Michigan Health System
- University of Vermont Medical Center