How Does the Quality & Accountability Study Work?
The Consortium’s study is one of the most rigorous available. It uses Joint Commission’s four core measures (acute myocardial infarction, heart failure, pneumonia, and the surgical care improvement project) as part of its effectiveness score along with readmission rates. It looks at mortality not just across eight major service lines, but also comprehensively across 27 service lines. It investigates six of 23 patient safety indicators from the Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality. It evaluates the efficiency of the health system based on observed direct costs and length of stay vs. expected. Finally, it tabulates patient satisfaction data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ HCAHPS surveys sent to patient homes.
2016 Vizient Quality & Accountability Study Rankings
- University of Utah Health
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- Mayo Clinic Hospital-Rochester
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Froedtert Hospital
- Rush University Medical Center
- WVU Medicine West Virginia University Hospitals
- Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Cedars-Sinai Health System
- Houston Methodist
- Nebraska Medicine
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- University of Michigan Health System
- University of Vermont Medical Center