Common Sleep Disorders
There are more than 50 sleep disorders classified by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM). A sleep disorder can severely impact a person's daily life.
More common sleep disorders include:
Symptoms of Sleep Disorders
Patients with sleep disorders can have common complaints that can include:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness,
- chronic daytime fatigue not explained by any other medical condition,
- difficulty waking up on time,
- disruptive sleep (snoring, gasping, or holding your breath),
- difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep (insomnia),
- falling asleep too early,
- and unwanted behaviors as you are waking up.
Evaluating Your Sleep
A sleep specialist can connect each of these symptoms to a particular disorder.
This is why a sleep specialist may want to have you sleep overnight in a sleep evaluation facility or may give you equipment to test yourself at home.