Dabigatran Resource Page
Dabigatran (Pradaxa®), a new oral anticoagulant was recently approved by the FDA for use in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation to reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism. Dabigatran (Pradaxa®) is a direct thrombin inhibitor.
In response to the high volume of questions regarding this new agent, the University of Utah Health Care Thrombosis Service has developed this dabigatran resource page to assist providers in the safe and appropriate use of this drug, and to provide education to both providers and patients.
This page includes guidelines for clinical use, education materials, relevant peer-reviewed articles, and information about requesting Thrombosis Service consultation if you are considering dabigatran therapy and would like assistance with clinical and financial screening/prior authorization and initiation of therapy, if deemed appropriate.
- Provider Education: Dabigatran
- Internal Medicine Grand Rounds: "Anticoagulant Therapy Update 2011" (View Video) (View Video for CME Credit)
- RN Education Handout: Dabigatran
- Dabigatran (Pradaxa®) Pharmacy Grand Rounds PowerPoint Presentation
- Dabigatran (Pradaxa®) Clinical Education and Council PowerPoint Presentation
- Dabigatran Medication Use Guideline
- Periprocedural Guideline for Dabigatran
- Laboratory Monitoring for Dabigatran
- Reversal and Bleeding Management for Dabigatran
- Clinical Follow-up for Dabigatran
- Consultation Information
- Request for Consultation
- Consultation Follow-up Letter to Providers
- Physician Follow-up Letter Regarding Change in Therapy (Redwood Clinic)
- Physician Follow-up Letter Regarding Change in Therapy (Thrombosis Center)
- Weitz JI, Hirsh J, Samama MM. New Antithrombotic Drugs: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). CHEST 2008;133:234S-256S.
- Connolly SJ, et al. for the RE-LY Study Group. Dabigatran versus Warfarin in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2009;361:1139-1151.
- Wallentin L, et al, on behalf of the RE-LY Investigators. Efficacy and Safety of Dabigatran Compared with Warfarin at Different Levels of International Normalized Ratio Control for Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation: An Analysis of the RE-LY Trial. Lancet 2010;376:975-983.
- van Ryn J, et al. Dabigatran Etexilate - A Novel, Reversible, Oral Direct Thrombin Inhibitor: Interpretation of Coagulation Assays and Reversal of Anticoagulant Activity. Thromb Haemost 2010;103:1116-1127.
- Douketis JD. Pharmacologic Properties of the New Oral anticoagulants: A Clinician-oriented Review with a Focus on Perioperative Management. Curr Pharm Des 2010;16:3436-3441.
- Pradaxa® Package Insert
Please note: The content provided on this page is for general education and informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute the care and advice provided by a licensed clinician. Please consult your primary care physician directly for all individual care decisions.