Utah Diabetes & Endocrinology Center
Cardio-Metabolic Risk Assessment and Reduction Program
What is Care-Met?
The Care-Met program is a clinical, patient education and research collaboration between Cardiac Rehab, the Utah Diabetes & Endocrinology Center and the Health & Wellness Center focused on primary, secondary and tertiary prevention of cardiovascular events in patients who are at increased cardio-metabolic risk. It provides an opportunity for comprehensive, preventive assessment; registry; and intervention to reduce modifiable risk factors.
Why have Care-Met?
The lifetime risk for all cardiovascular events is nearly two out of every three Americans. It is an immense health burden in a condition with symptoms that aren’t extremely visible. According to the AHA, by 2030 it is projected that 40.5% of Americans, 116 million people, will have some form of cardiovascular disease. Modifiable cardiovascular risk factors are responsible for over 75% of CVS events and 90% of patients with CAD have at least one atherosclerotic risk factor.
Who would benefit from this program?
Adults with and without a prior history of heart disease with the following conditions or symptoms:
- Metabolic syndrome, overweight or obese
- Impaired glucose tolerance or diabetes dyslipidemia
- Refractory hypertension
- Family history of premature heart attack (male 45 and up, female 55 and up)
What to Expect from the Program:
- Comprehensive fasting laboratory testing and personalized interpretation
- Serial metabolic rate, anthropometric and fat composition testing
- Health status assessment
- Nutritional assessment and intensive dietary counseling
- Physical fitness assessment, coordination of supervised exercise therapy and lifestyle coaching
- Comprehensive medication assessment
- Psychological assessment and therapy where appropriate
- Smoking cessation
- Electrocardiographic testing where appropriate
- Cardiovascular imaging where appropriate
For Appointments Call:
Timothy E. Graham, M.D.
Specialties: Endocrinology & Metabolism, Pituitary, Thyroid Disorders
Lillian L. Khor, M.Sc., M.B.B.Ch.Locations
|University Hospital||(801) 585-7676|
|Utah Diabetes Center||(801) 587-3913|
Specialties: Cardiology, Echocardiography, General Cardiology, Nuclear Medicine, Preventive Cardiology