University Health Care provides patients complete care across all medical specialty and sub-specialty areas. Please see the comprehensive listing of all our services below or type what you are looking for in the search box:
1905-1906 Two year medical courses began in the Department of Biology with 14 students
1912 Medical program established as a separate two-year Medical School that became a member of the American Association of Medical Schools (AAMC) and the American Medical Association (AMA) Council of Medical Education.
1942 From 1906 until 1942, the two-year medical program graduated 548 students who transferred out of state to four-year medical schools to complete their requirements for a medical degree.
1942 University of Utah Board of Regents approved a four-year medical school in May.
1942 Agreement with Salt lake County to use county hospital on 21st South and State Street for teaching in exchange for care of county patients at no cost to the county.
1942 Medical students were accepted for their third year.
1942-1945 First wave of new full-time faculty joined the medial school to create new academic departments and strengthen existing departments.
1943 Clinical appointments of practicing physicians to serve as teachers.
1944 Residency training program in Medicine started.
1944 The four-year medical school was officially accredited on June 12.
1944 The first class of the four-year school graduated Sept. 10. Four women were among the 35 graduates.
1945 First research grant of $100,000 provided by the U.S. Public Health Service to the medical school to study genetic diseases. This was the first grant awarded to any medical school through this organization and was renewed annually for 33 years, bringing nearly $10 million to Utah.
1946 Affiliation with the Veterans Administration Hospital for teaching medical students and residents.
1948 Medical School awarded $416,400 grant from the National Institutes of Health to study cancer.
1949 Utah began accepting medical students from other Intermountain states.
1951 Cancer research building opened on campus, the first building on the health sciences campus.
1955 U.S. Public Health Services awarded the medical school $1.5 million for research.
1955 Business Bureau reported for every dollar invested in the medical school by Utah, three dollars were generated for the economy. By 2005 for every dollar provided by the state, nine dollars were generated.
1956 The University Board of Regents unanimously approved construction of a $10 million medical center.
1959 Division of Postgraduate Medical Education established.
1960 Reported 126 full-time and 325 clinical faculty members.
1963 Clinical Research Center (CRC) funded by NIH was established at the Salt Lake County Hospital. The CRC was moved to University Hospital when it opened in July 1965.
1965 The University of Utah Medical Center opens its doors on July 10. The new 220-bed Medical Center costs $15.6 million.