Languages Spoken: English
William Lowrance, MD, MPH, is an assistant professor in the Division of Urology at the University of Utah School of Medicine and a Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) investigator. He specializes in the surgical treatment of urologic malignancies. His practice at the Huntsman Cancer Institute primarily focuses on treating prostate cancer, bladder cancer, kidney cancer, testicular cancer, and penile cancer. He has extensive training and experience with open, laparoscopic, and robotic surgical techniques. His research efforts focus on understanding and improving clinical outcomes for patients with urologic cancers. Dr. Lowrance has published numerous peer-reviewed urologic articles, book chapters, and editorials. He is member of the American Urological Association’s Advanced Prostate Cancer Clinical Guidelines committee and serves on the editorial board for multiple medical journals. He peer reviews medical manuscripts for over 10 different medical journals. Additionally, he has received a National Institutes of Health Challenge grant for studying the differences between open and robotic radical prostatectomy.
Board Certification and Academic Information
|Board Certification||American Board of Urology|
|Cancer Center Programs||Cancer Control & Population Sciences|
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survery.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Likelihood of recommending care provider
Care provider spoke using clear language
Care provider's explanation of condition/problem
My confidence in care provider
Care provider's effort to include me in decisions
Wait time at clinic
Time care provider spent with me
Care provider's concern for questions & worries
Care provider's friendliness and courtesy
William Lowrance, MD, MPH, is an assistant professor in the Division of Urology at the University of Utah School of Medicine and a Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) investigator. Dr. Lowrance is co-leader of the HCI Prostate Disease Oriented Team and a member of the HCI Cancer Control and Population Sciences program. He specializes in the surgical treatment of urologic malignancies. His practice at the Huntsman Cancer Institute primarily focuses on treating prostate cancer, bladder cancer, kidney cancer, testicular cancer, and penile cancer. He has extensive training and experience with open, laparoscopic, and robotic surgical techniques.
His research efforts focus on understanding and improving clinical outcomes for patients with urologic cancers. As a clinical outcomes researcher, he has conducted comparative effectiveness studies of outcomes between robotic and open radical prostatectomy. He also studies the cost and patterns of care, as well as disparities in treatment delivery of various genitourinary malignancies. He is investigating a possible link between chronic kidney disease and renal cancer. In addition to his health services research, he designs and conducts clinical trials studying novel approaches for the treatment of prostate, kidney, and bladder cancer.
Dr. Lowrance has published numerous peer-reviewed urologic articles, book chapters, and editorials. He is member of the American Urological Association’s Advanced Prostate Cancer Clinical Guidelines committee and serves on the editorial board for the medical journals, Urologists in Cancer Care and Frontiers in Genitourinary Oncology. He peer reviews medical manuscripts for over 10 different medical journals. Additionally, he has received a National Institutes of Health Challenge grant for studying the differences between open and robotic radical prostatectomy.
Dr. Lowrance completed his medical degree at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, SC. Following medical school, he completed a General Surgery internship and Urology residency at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, TN. He then completed a fellowship in urologic oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, NY. During this time, he also earned a masters degree in public health from Harvard University.
Board Certification and Academic Information
|Board Certification||American Board of Urology|
|Cancer Center Programs||Cancer Control & Population Sciences|
- Urothelial Cancer
- Testicular Cancer
- Cancer Genetics
- Chronic Kidney Disease and Cancer Risk
- Cancer Clinical Genetics Communication
- Health Services Research
- Prostate Cancer
- Renal Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
|Graduate Training||Harvard School of Public Health
Summer Program in Clinical Effectiveness
|Fellowship||Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
|Chief Resident||Vanderbilt University Medical Center
|Residency||Vanderbilt University Medical Center
|Professional Medical||Medical University of South Carolina
|Undergraduate||Washington and Lee University
Chemistry, Summa cum laude
Publications - Journal Articles
- Lowrance WT, Roth BJ, Kirkby E, Murad MH, Cookson MS (2015 October). Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer: AUA Guideline Amendment 2015. J Urol, S0022-5347(15), 05026-05030.
- Huang WC, Atoria CL, Bjurlin M, Pinheiro LC, Russo P, Lowrance WT, Elkin EB (May 2015). Management of Small Kidney Cancers in the New Millennium: Contemporary Trends and Outcomes in a Population-Based Cohort. JAMA Surg, 150(7), 664-72.
- Ghoneim TP, Sjoberg DD, Lowrance W, Shariat SF, Savage C, Bernstein M, Russo P (May 2015). Partial nephrectomy for renal tumors in solitary kidneys: postoperative renal function dynamics. World J Urol, 33(12), 2023-9.
- Bazzi WM, Sjoberg DD, Feuerstein MA, Maschino A, Verma S, Bernstein M, OBrien MF, Jang T, Lowrance W, Motzer RJ, Russo P (Dec 2014). Long-Term Survival Rates after Resection for Locally Advanced Kidney Cancer: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center 1989-2012 Experience. J Urol, 193(6), 1911-6.
- Lowrance WT, Ordoez J, Udaltsova N, Russo P, Go AS (Oct 2014). CKD and the Risk of Incident Cancer. American Journal of Urology Review, The, 25(10), 2327-34.
- ONeil BB, Presson A, Gannon J, Stephenson RA, Lowrance W, Dechet CB, Tward JD, Myers JB, BrantWO (Jan 2014). Climacturia after definitive treatment of prostate cancer. 191(1):159-63. J Urol, 191(1), 159-63.
- ONeil BB, Lowrance WT (2013). Office-based Bladder Tumor Fulguration and Surveillance: Indications and Techniques. Urol Clin North Am.
- Aviva G Asnis-Alibozek, PA-C, Michael J Fine, MD, Paul Russo, MD, Trent McLaughlin, BScPharm, PhD, Eileen M Farrelly, MPH, Norman LaFrance, MD, Lowrance WT, MD, MPH (10/01/2013). Cost of Care for Malignant and Benign Renal Masses. Am J Manag Care, 19(8), 617-624.
- Hardee MJ, Lowrance W, Brant WO, Presson AP, Stevens MH, Myers JB (2013). High grade renal injuries: application of Parkland Hospital predictors of intervention for renal hemorrhage. J Urol, 189(5), 1771-6.
- Myers JB, Taylor MB, Brant WO, Lowrance W, Wallis MC, Presson AP, Morris SE, Nirula R, Stevens MH (2013). Process improvement in trauma: traumatic bladder injuries and compliance with recommended imaging evaluation. J Trauma Acute Care Surg, 74(1), 264-9.
- Christensson A, Savage C, Sjoberg DD, Cronin AM, OBrien MF, Lowrance W, Nilsson PM, Vickers AJ, Russo P, Lilja H (2013). Association of cancer with moderately impaired renal function at baseline in a large, representative, population-based cohort followed for up to 30 years. Int J Cancer, 133(6), 1452-8.
- Silberstein JL, Poon SA, Maschino AC, Lowrance WT, Garg T, Herr HWm Donet SM, Dalbagni G, Bochner BH, Sandhu JS (2013). Urinary diversion practice patterns among certifying Americans urologist. J Urol, 189(3), 1042-7.
- Corcoran AT, Russo P, Lowrance WT, Asnis-Alibozek A, Libertino JA, Pryma DA, Divgi CR, Uzzo RG (2013). A review of contemporary data on surgically resected renal masses-benign or malignant? Urology, 81(4), 707-13.
- Hardee MJ, Lowrance W, Stevens MH, Nirula R, Brant WO, Morris SE, Myers JB (2013). Process improvement in trauma: compliance with recommended imaging evaluation in the diagnosis of high-grade renal injuries. J Trauma Acute Care Surg, 74(2), 558-62.
- Myers JB, Taylor MB, Brant WO, Lowrance WT, Wallis MC, Presson AP, Morris SE, Nirula R, Stevens MH (2013). Process improvement in trauma: traumatic bladder injuries and compliance with recommended imaging evalutaion. J Trauma Acute Care Surg, jan 2013 7(1), 264-9.
- Lowrance WT, Southwick A, Maschino AC, Sandhu JS (2012). Contemporary Practice Patterns of Endoscopic Surgical Management for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Among Urologists in the United States. J Urol.
- Bolenz C, Freedland SJ, Hollenbeck BK, Lotan Y, Lowrance WT, Nelson JB, Hu JC (2012). Costs of Radical Prostatectomy for Prostate Cancer: A Systematic Review. Eur Urol, Sep 5 2012.
- Lim A, ONeil B, Heilbrun ME, Dechet C, Lowrance WT (2012). The contemporary role of renal mass biopsy in the management of small renal tumors. Front Oncol, 2012(2), 106.
- Poon SA Silberstein JL, Savage C, Maschino AC, Lowrance WT, Sandhu JS (2012). Surgical practice patterns for male urinary incontinence: analysis of case logs from certifying American urologist. J Urol, jul 2012(188), 205-10.
- Lowrance WT, Eastham JA, Savage C, Maschino AC, Laudone VP, Dechet CB, Stephenson RA, Scardino PT, Sandju JS (2012 Apr 11). Contemporary Open and Robotic Radical Prostatectomy Practice Patterns Among Urologist in the United States. J Urol.
- Lowrance WT, Elkin EB, Yee DS, Feifer A, Ehdaie B, Jacks LM, Atoria CL, Selefsky MJ, Scher HI, Scardino PT, Eastham JA (2012 May). Locally advanced prostate cancer: a population-based study of treatment patterns. BJU Int, 109(9), 1309-1314.
- Mirkin JN, Lowrance WT, Feifer AH, Mulhall JP, Wastham JE, Elkin EB (2012 April 31). Direct-to-consumer internet promotion of robotic prostatectomy exhibits varying of information. Health Aff (Millwood).
- Lowrance WT, Eastham JA, Yee DS, Laudone VP, Denton B, Scardino PT, Elkin EB (2012). Costs of medical care after open or minimally invasive prostate cancer surgery: a population-based analysis. Cancer, 118(12), 3079-86.
- Ehdaie B, Atoria CL, Gupta A, Feifer A, Lowrance WT, Morris MJ, Scardino PT, Eastham JA, Elkin EB (2011 Nov 9). Androgen deprivation and thromboembolic events in men with prostate cancer surgery. A population-based analysis. Cancer.
- Ehdaie B, Maschino A, Shariat SF, Rioja J, Hamitlon RJ, Lowrance WT, Poon SA, Al-Ahmadie HA, Herr HW (2011 Nov 16). Comparative outcomes of pure squamous cell carcinoma and urothelial carcinoma with squamous differentiation in patients treated with radical cystectomy. J Urol, 187(1), 74-9.
- Yee DS, Ishill NM, Lowrance WT, Herr HW, Elkin EB (2011). Ethnic differences in bladder cancer survival. Urology, 78(3), 544-9.
- Ehdaie B, Chromecki TF, Lee RK, Lotan Y, Margulis V, Karakiewicz PI, Novara G, Raman JD, Ng C, Lowrance WT, Scherr DS, Shariat SF (2011). Obesity adversely impacts disease specific outcomes in patients with upper tract urothelial carcinoma. J Urol, 186(1), 66-72.
- Yee DS, Shariat SF, Lowrance WT, Maschino AC, Savage CJ, Cronin AM, Scardino PT, Eastham JA (2011). Prognostic significance of lymphovascular invasion in radical prostatectomy specimens. BJU Int, 108(4), 502-7.
- Feifer A, Savage C, Rayala H, Lowrance W, Gotto G, Sprenkle P, Gupta A, Taylor J, Bernstein M, Adeniran A, Tickoo SK, Reuter VE, Russo P (2011). Prognostic impact of muscular venous branch invasion in localized renal cell carcinoma cases. J Urol, 185(1), 37-42.
- Adamy A, Lowrance WT, Yee DS, Chong KT, Bernstein M, Tickoo SK, Coleman JA, Russo P (2011). Renal oncocytosis: management and clinical outcomes. J Urol, 185(3), 795-801.
- Feifer AH, Elkin EB, Lowrance WT, Denton B, Jacks L, Yee DS, Coleman JA, Laudone VP, Scardino PT, Eastham JA (2011). Temporal trends and predictors of pelvic lymph node dissection in open or minimally invasive radical prostatectomy. Cancer, 117(17), 3933-42.
- Lowrance WT, Thompson RH, Yee DS, Kaag M, Donat SM, Russo P (2010). Obesity is associated with a higher risk of clear-cell renal cell carcinoma than with other histologies. BJU Int, 105(1), 16-20.
- Yee DS, Lowrance WT, Eastham JA, Maschino AC, Cronin AM, Rabbani F (2010). Long-term follow-up of 3-month neoadjuvant hormone therapy before radical prostatectomy in a randomized trial. BJU Int, 105(2), 185-90.
- Lowrance WT, Yee DS, Maschino AC, Cronin AM, Bernstein M, Thompson RH, Russo P (2010). Developments in the surgical management of sporadic synchronous bilateral renal tumours. BJU Int, 105(8), 1093-7.
- Lowrance WT, Elkin EB, Scardino PT, Eastham JA (2010). Words of wisdom. Re: Comparative effectiveness of minimally invasive vs open radical prostatectomy. Eur Urol, 57(3), 538.
- Lowrance WT, Elkin EB, Jacks LM, Yee DS, Jang TL, Laudone VP, Guillonneau BD, Scardino PT, Eastham JA (2010). Comparative effectiveness of prostate cancer surgical treatments: a population based analysis of postoperative outcomes. J Urol, 183(4), 1366-72.
- Dulabon LM, Lowrance WT, Russo P, Huang WC (2010). Trends in renal tumor surgery delivery within the United States. Cancer, 116(10), 2316-21.
- Yee DS, Shariat SF, Lowrance WT, Sterbis JR, Vora KC, Bochner BH, Donat SM, Herr HW, Dalbagni G, Sandhu JS (2010). Impact of previous radiotherapy for prostate cancer on clinical outcomes of patients with bladder cancer. J Urol, 183(5), 1751-6.
- Lowrance WT, Yee DS, Savage C, Cronin AM, OBrien MF, Donat SM, Vickers A, Russo P (2010). Complications after radical and partial nephrectomy as a function of age. J Urol, 183(5), 1725-30.
- Boudreaux KJ Jr, Clark PE, Lowrance WT, Rumohr JA, Barocas DA, Cookson MS, Smith JA Jr, Chang SS (2009). Comparison of american joint committee on cancer pathological stage T2a versus T2b urothelial carcinoma: analysis of patient outcomes in organ confined bladder cancer. J Urol, 181(2), 540-5; discussion 546.
- Thompson RH, Kaag M, Vickers A, Kundu S, Bernstein M, Lowrance W, Galvin D, Dalbagni G, Touijer K, Russo P (2009). Contemporary use of partial nephrectomy at a tertiary care center in the United States. J Urol, 181(3), 993-7.
- Boudreaux KJ Jr, Chang SS, Lowrance WT, Rumohr JA, Barocas DA, Cookson MS, Smith JA Jr, Clark PE (2009). Comparison of American Joint Committee on Cancer pathologic stage T3a versus T3b urothelial carcinoma: analysis of patient outcomes. Cancer, 115(4), 770-5.
- Lowrance WT, Rumohr JA, Clark PE, Chang SS, Smith JA Jr, Cookson MS (2009). Urinary diversion trends at a high volume, single American tertiary care center. J Urol, 182(5), 2369-74.
- Lowrance WT, Scardino PT (2009). Predictive models for newly diagnosed prostate cancer patients. Rev Urol, 11(3), 117-26.
- Lowrance WT, Rumohr JA, Chang SS, Clark PE, Smith JA Jr, Cookson MS (2008). Contemporary open radical cystectomy: analysis of perioperative outcomes. J Urol, 179(4), 1313-8; discussion 1318.
- Jung C, DeMarco RT, Lowrance WT, Pope JC 4th, Adams MC, Dietrich MS, Brock JW 3rd (2007). Subureteral injection of dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer for persistent vesicoureteral reflux following ureteroneocystostomy. J Urol, 177(1), 312-5.
- Lowrance WT, Cookson MS, Clark PE, Smith JA Jr, Chang SS (2007). Assessing retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy experience in United States urological residency programs. J Urol, 178(2), 500-3; discussion 503.
- Lowrance WT, Tarin TV, Shariat SF (2010). Evidence-based comparison of robotic and open radical prostatectomy. [Review]. ScientificWorldJournal, 10, 2228-37.
- Lowrance WT, Chang SS, Herrell SD (2006). Primary renal carcinoid tumor managed with laparoscopic partial nephrectomy. [Review]. Urology, 67(3), 622.e19-20.
- Lowrance WT, Chang SS (2006). Advancing prostate cancer: treatment options for the urologist. [Review]. Urol Clin North Am, 33(2), 211-7, vii.
- Stevenson SM, Lowrance WT (2015 August). Epidemiology and Diagnosis of Testis Cancer. In Urol Clin North Am (42, pp. 267-275).
- ONeil BB, Lowrance WT (2013). Office-based Bladder of Tumor Fulguration and Surveillance: Indications and Techniques. In Urol Clin North Am (May 2013, 40 (2), pp. 175-82).
- Lowrance WT, Sheinfeld J (2011). Radical Orchiectomy and Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection. In Comprehensive Textbook of Genitourinary. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Lowrance WT, Chang SS, Cookson MS (2007). Urothelial Carcinoma. In Poston, Beauchamp, Ruers (Eds.), Textbook of Surgical Oncology. Informa Healthcare Medical Books.
- Lowrance W (2013). discussion. Editorial comment, 189(3), 2203-4.
- Lowrance WT, Parekh DJ (2012). The rapid uptake of robotic prostatectomy and its collateral effects. Cancer, 118(1), 4-7.
- Lowrance WT (2010). Surgical margins following urological cancer surgery and clinical outcomes--does the United States need regional centralization of cancer care? J Urol, 183(6), 2126-7.