Fast and Fresh Recipes: Foods That Fight Fat
Want to rev up your metabolism? Choose from these breakfast recipes to possibly kick it into higher gear.
Morning Burst Smoothie
- 1¼ cups orange juice, preferably calcium-fortified
- 1 banana
- 1¼ cups frozen blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or other berry of your choice.
- ½ cup low-fat silken tofu or low-fat plain yogurt
- Combine orange juice, banana, berries and tofu (or yogurt) in a blender, cover and blend until creamy. Serve immediately.
How it fights fat: Blueberries have been linked to shrinking abdominal fat. Researchers suggest that antioxidant-rich blueberries change how the body stores and processes glucose or sugar for energy. Bonus: Reducing belly fat also lessens your risk for type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Egg and Salmon Sandwich
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon capers, rinsed and chopped (optional)
- 1 ounce smoked salmon
- 1 slice tomato
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin, split and toasted
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 1 minute. Add egg whites, salt and capers (if using) and cook, stirring constantly, until whites are set, about 30 seconds.
- To make the sandwich, layer the egg whites, smoked salmon and tomato on English muffin.
How it fights fat: Packed with protein, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, these ingredients can boost your energy levels and keep you feeling fuller, longer.
Fruit Parfait with Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sliced mixed fruits (strawberries, raspberries, plums, peaches, banana)
- 1 tablespoon nuts (almond or walnuts raw, chopped)
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds (available in bulk bins of specialty stores) or flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, agave nectar or honey
- ½ cup puffed rice cereal or granola
Layer half portions of yogurt, fruit, nuts, chia seeds or flaxseed, and syrup, agave or honey in the bottom of a tall cup container and repeat. Top with cereal or granola.
How it fights fat: Research is ongoing, but chia seeds might help your body fight insulin resistance, which can be tied to an increase in belly fat. The Greek yogurt provides a punch of satiating protein without any extra fat.