Nov 17, 2014 11:45 PM

Author: Office of Public Affairs


Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas, and it is a leading cause of accidental deaths in the U.S. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning and another 24,000 are hospitalized, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Many household appliances produce carbon monoxide. When not ventilated properly or in good working order, these appliances can emit dangerous levels of carbon monoxide into our homes,” says Marty Malheiro, the outreach coordinator at the Utah Poison Control Center.

The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can be subtle, similar to the flu, Malheiro says. So it’s important to take the proper precautions at home to help protect your family. To get started, download this checklist so you can recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and act fast.

If you have symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning or any concerns about it, call the Poison Center at 800-222-1222.

carbon monoxide home safety family health

comments powered by Disqus

Sign Up for Weekly Health Updates

Get weekly emails of the latest news from HealthFeed.

For Patients

Find a doctor or location close to you so you can get the health care you need, when you need it