What Do You Know About the Common Cold?
1. More than 200 viruses cause colds.
2. Frequent hand-washing can reduce your chances of getting a cold.
3. Frequently cleaning telephones, countertops, and faucets in your home when a family member has a cold can help keep the illness from spreading.
4. Wearing warm clothing, avoiding cold drafts, and not going outside with wet hair can keep you from catching a cold.
5. Over-the-counter cold/cough medications can cure a cold.
6. Keeping your fingers out of your eyes and nose can help keep you from getting a cold.
7. Chronic sleep deprivation may increase your chances of catching a cold.
8. Fever and headaches are common-cold symptoms.
9. It's better to blow your nose with a tissue than with a handkerchief.
10. Drinking lots of liquids can help you recover from a cold.
11. Daily exercise can help prevent a cold.
12. Drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes can make you feel worse when you have a cold.
13. Most colds can be self-treated at home.
14. Antibiotics can cure the common cold.