Take the Sickle Cell Disease Quiz
Red blood cells are usually doughnut-shaped. In a person with sickle cell anemia, the red blood cells are shaped like a C--like a sickle. Find out more about this disease by taking the following quiz.
1. People with sickle cell anemia are born with it.
2. Sickle-shaped red blood cells don't move easily through blood vessels.
3. Sickle beta-plus thalassemia is another form of sickle cell disease.
4. Normal red blood cells last about 120 days, but red blood cells affected by sickle cell disease last only 60 days.
5. Sickle cell disease is found worldwide. In the United States, it primarily affects African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans.
6. A "sickle cell crisis" means a sudden onset of pain throughout the body.
7. To help prevent a sickle cell crisis, make sure you drink plenty of fluids each day.
8. One complication of sickle cell disease is a damaged spleen.
9. A blood transfusion can cure sickle cell anemia.