What is Radon?

Radon is a radioactive gas found in homes and buildings. It occurs naturally and gets into buildings through the soil. Breathing in radon over time may cause lung cancer.

The Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Surgeon General recommend that all homes—old and new—be tested.

How to Test Your Home for Radon

You can’t see, taste, or smell radon. The only way to know if your home has radon is by testing. Testing for radon is easy and inexpensive: 

  • Buy a radon test kit. If you live in Utah, you can order a test kit at radon.utah.gov. You can also buy test kits from home improvement stores. If you are buying a new home, you can buy a test kit through a certified appraiser. The test you use should be marked “Meets EPA Requirements.”
  • Do the test. Follow the instructions on the test kit. You will mail your test kit to a test site and get results by mail several weeks later.
  • Fix the problem (if needed). If you have high levels of radon in your home, you can have it removed by a Certified Mitigation Specialist. The specialist installs a fan underneath the foundation of your home that constantly fans radon away. The test kit results will include information about how to find a Certified Mitigation Specialist.