What to Expect During Your Skinfold Caliper Test
PEAK's Sports Performance Testing package will provide a baseline or allow you to measure your progress as you work toward your athletic goals. This package includes the following tests:
- Body Composition (%fat) - Bod Pod
- 60-minute consultation with a Sports Nutrition Specialist
- $30 savings compared to prices for individual tests
- 2.5 hour appointment (90-minute testing, 60-minute nutrition consult)
- Can be completed in one day, or in two separate appointments
- For the testing: Bod Pod test will be completed first, followed by the VO2max test
- Bring clothes for the bod pod (see details below) and comfortable exercise clothing for the VO2max test
- You may choose to bring a small snack for after the Bod Pod test is completed
Sports Nutrition Consultation Information
Top 3 Reasons to Meet with a Sports Nutrition Specialist
- You are unique. Our sports nutrition specialists will make individualized recommendations based on your needs and goals while also taking into consideration your lifestyle, likes, dislikes, budget and more. We can help you learn how to choose, prepare, and store food including preparing new nutritious recipes.
- Speed up your recovery and maximize training. Nutrition has a huge role to play in getting the most out of your workouts and recovering well. A sports nutrition specialist can help you develop nutrition and hydration strategies to use alongside your training.
- Managing your body composition and body weight depend on consistency. Quick-fix of fad diets don’t work and they can cause you to miss out on fitness gains. We can teach you some key nutrition practices to keep you moving toward your sport and health goals.
Bod Pod Information
- Special clothing is necessary. Women need to bring a swimsuit or form fitting shorts and a sports bra. Men need to bring a speedo or compression (PEAK can provide compression shorts if needed).
- Don't eat, exercise, or drink anything with calories or caffeine 4-5 hours prior to your test
- Normal hydration is important, you can continue to drink water in the 4-5 hours prior to testing
- Don't participate in vigorous/high intensity weight training 12 hours prior
- Do come rested and relaxed
VO2max (maximal oxygen uptake) is accepted as the criterion measure of cardiorespiratory fitness. PEAK uses open-circuit spirometry to accurately measure VO2max. Athletes can use VO2max testing information to determine training intensity and gauge results of a training program.
What to Expect
- Graded exercise test will last 8-14 minutes (not including warm-up and cool-down)
- Can be completed on a treadmill or a bicycle
- Heart rate is monitored
- Athlete will wear a nose clip and mouthpiece to capture exhaled air
- Oxygen uptake is measured with a metabolic cart
- Results are available immediately after the test is completed
- PEAK exercise physiologist will explain test results