Interviewer: Three healthy snacks for your desk drawer. Theresa Dvorak's a registered dietitian. What are some healthy things I can put in my snack drawer at work that are probably better than what's already in there?
Theresa: Sure. Some key things that we want to look for with these particular food items is that it's a good source of protein, it's got complex carbohydrates, and it's high in fiber. These things are important because they give us some energy, but also it's sustaining energy, so it's going to help keep us full for a given period of time and not just quick sugars.
My top choices there would be something like a trail mix with some nuts and seeds and dried fruit, a granola bar, preferably not chocolate covered granola bars, those tend to be just like candy bars, and then something fresh like fruit and nuts. Keeping us away from the vending machine and in control of our choices.
updated: February 3, 2021
originally published: April 22, 2019
- 134: What's the Deal with Inflammatory Foods?
- How to Eat to Control Your Cholesterol
- How to Know if Your Child has an Eating Disorder
- 115: What the Heck is Ketosis?
- The Wellness Bus Offers Free Nutrition Counseling Sessions in Utah
- How to Choose Vitamins and Supplements
- 111: Is Huel® Actually a Good Meal Option? We Ask a Nutritionist
- What Vitamins and Supplements for Men Actually Work?
- The Wellness Bus: Free Health Screenings, Coaching, and Education
- Does Your Child Really Need a Vitamin Supplement?