Dr. Troy Madsen has a simple—but maybe a little gross—trick that you can perform on your kid to dislodge that foreign body and save yourself a trip to the ER.

Learn more about this topic in the full-length interview.">

Apr 17, 2017 — You don’t know how. You don’t know why. But it’s up there—your kid got lodged something deep into his nose. Should you be taking him to an emergency room? On this Health Minute, Dr. Troy Madsen has a simple—but maybe a little gross—trick that you can perform on your kid to dislodge that foreign body and save yourself a trip to the ER.

Learn more about this topic in the full-length interview.

Interview

Announcer: "The Health Minute" produced by University of Utah Health.

Interviewer: It's time for another edition of "ER or Not" with Dr. Troy Madsen. Go ahead and play along and see if you know the answer to today's situation. Your kid got a raisin stuck up their nose, ER or not?

Dr. Madsen: So I'm going to teach you a little trick here and tell you about something to avoid a trip to the ER. If a kid has a raisin up their nose, one thing you can try is actually blowing in your child's mouth. It's a little bit gross, because what's going to happen is it's going to blow air into their mouth out their nose. That raisin is probably going to hit you in the face with a little bit of mucous. But you can get the raisin out. I'm not making this up. There have actually been papers published on this.

Now, if that doesn't work, you can look and see if the raisin's there where you could easily pull it out with some tweezers. I would not advise digging around in there. If you can't see it, if it's not easy to get, you probably need to go to the ER for this.

Announcer: To find out more about this and other health and wellness topics, visit thescoperadio.com.


For Patients




Sign Up For Weekly Health Updates

Get weekly emails of the latest health information from The Scope


Subscribe on Itunes Download Podcast