Aug 8, 2017

Interview Transcript

Announcer: The Health Minute, produced by University of Utah Health.

Interviewer: You think you might have heat stroke. When do you need to go see a doctor? Dr. Scott Youngquist, what do you say?

Dr. Youngquist: Well, symptoms can vary, Scott, and so anyone who's got confusion, who is severely lightheaded, passing out, has chest pain, trouble breathing, or severe abdominal pain should present to the emergency department for care.

Interviewer: All right, all symptoms of heat stroke and what could you do to treat at home if it's not quite that extreme?

Dr. Youngquist: Well, if you've got a mild case where you feel a little lightheaded or fatigued, you could drink fluids, particularly electrolyte containing solutions like a Gatorade or Powerade and get cooled off.

Interviewer: And then at what point . . . what kind of time would pass before, "Maybe I better go to the emergency room?"

Dr. Youngquist: Well, it's hard to give you an exact number, Scott, but I would say after maybe 30 minutes if you're not feeling better or on a good trajectory, you should go to the emergency department.

Announcer: To find out more about this and other health and wellness topics visit

Sign Up for Weekly Health Updates

Weekly emails of the latest news from The Scope Radio.

For Patients