About Us

Every dollar helps advance transgender health research and provide patients with opportunities and support throughout their journey.


Your service with the Transgender Health Program is an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our transgender and gender diverse communities.


The Trans Health Program at University of Utah Health brings quality healthcare to trans adults and teens from all walks of life. We understand that every trans or gender-nonconforming person’s experience is unique. Our doctors will be there to give you endless support wherever your journey takes you.

Your comfort and trust matters the most to us. We provide a safe, trans-affirmative environment where patients can comfortably access the full range of health services they need. This includes primary care; surgery and hormone therapy; and mental health, counseling, and nutrition services. We will even help you navigate your care and finances to find the best care that fits your budget. 

Questions? Email us transgenderhealth@hsc.utah.edu.

Health Services for Transgender Teens & Youth

Adolescent Gender Management and Support (GEMS) Services and Therapy


Q: What services are offered for teens and youth?

A: We provide a full range of health care services for youth including puberty blockers, gender-affirming hormone therapy, behavioral health counseling, and more.

We also provide basic health services (primary care) for trans, non-binary, intersex, and gender non-conforming youth.

All care for youth is located at:

Eccles Primary Children’s Outpatient Services
81 North Mario Capecchi Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84113

Call 801-213-3599, option 1.

We do not see trans teens and youth at our other locations.

Learn more about how we are expanding our program outreach to other communities.

Q: Where can I find information about the University’s non-discrimination policy or report a concern? 

A: Gender Identity and Expression is a protected class under University policies. If you feel as though you have been discriminated against, you may contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action at 801-581-8365. Find more information regarding the patient grievance policy in relation to discriminatory behavior.

Q: How can I ensure I am addressed by the name and pronoun I prefer? 

A: Our staff and providers have been trained to ask and use your chosen or preferred name as a default in most interactions. Please be sure to provide this information at the time of registration so we may enter it in your medical record. 

A: Unfortunately, we currently are not able to capture your preferred pronoun as part of your medical record. You may notify and request us to use your preferred pronoun anytime throughout your care.  

Q: Why do you need my legally assigned name and gender?

A: Your legally assigned name and gender marker are needed to ensure you receive the best medical care as well as prevent any billing and insurance issues. Once provided with legal documentation, we will gladly update your name and/or gender throughout our system. 

Q: What improvements are being made to better capture gender identity information, including that of non-binary (a)genders?

A: We are working on many improvements to better capture information for all our patients such as gender identity and pronouns.

Insurance Coverage

It is important that you talk to your insurance provider and ask them if transgender/gender dysphoria is an exclusion or benefit under your plan. We will need prior authorization from your insurance company before we begin any services or treatments for your gender transition. Insurance companies use the prior authorization process to ensure that your surgery is covered. This process can take up to six months depending on your insurance provider. Our team will keep you in the loop as we receive status updates. However, you can always call your insurance for updates too.

For any questions about the prior authorization process, please call us at 801-213-2195, option 1. If you reach our voicemail, please leave your:

  • name,
  • phone number, and
  • date of birth.

If our providers are not in-network, ask your insurance company if you would qualify for a gap exception. A gap exception can sometimes be granted as a covered service if there are no other in-network providers in the area who offer that service. Check our insurance information to verify whether University of Utah Health is in your network of coverage.

Please note that we are actively working with all of the payers in Utah to advocate for medically necessary care as a covered benefit. 


We Want Your Feedback

We are constantly evolving as a program and welcome any feedback from the community that will help us meet our mission to provide safe, gender-affirmative care at University of Utah Health. Please email us at transgenderhealth@hsc.utah.edu.