The University of Utah Hospital Emergency Department has two available volunteer opportunities. Volunteer as: a support to the emergency room staff or an advocate to patients, families of patients, and visitors in the waiting room.
Volunteer in the Emergency Room
To support the emergency room staff
Volunteer service coordinator
Open to all Health Sciences students and adults (Must be 18 or over)
- Check in with the charge nurse at the beginning of each shift.
- Receive direction from the emergency room staff.
- Introduce self as a volunteer to the staff and patients.
- Make patient rounds (leave door open), offer reassurance.
- Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality at all times.
- Ensure that all patients have access to "call lights" except in rooms 13 and 14 (these are psych rooms).
- Pick-up labs.
- Transport patients to X-Ray and/or MRI, as requested.
- Escort patients to rooms.
- Give assistance to clerical staff when requested.
- Do not review or write any patient information in patient charts.
- Do not participate in any clinical procedures.
- Do not wear scrubs.
The following observed signs or patient complaint should be called to a nurse's attention
- Breathing difficulty
- Severe pain
- Chest pain of any kind
- Convulsive activity
Volunteer in the ER Waiting Room
Volunteers assigned to the emergency department (ED) waiting room act as an advocate to patients, families of patients, and visitors.
Daily, 2 pm–10 pm
Must be 18 or over. Must have good communication and interpersonal skills.
The primary goal of ED waiting room volunteer is to ensure the comfort of ED patients, families, and visitors in the ED waiting room. The only information the ED waiting room volunteer may give out is the patient location in the ED; other requests for patient information should be directed to the patient's primary nurse.
- Introduce yourself to the ED patients, families and visitors.
- Inform patient's primary nurse if family members are requesting patient information.
- Inform the charge nurse of any family members they need to speak with.
- Maintain tidiness in the ED waiting room and bathroom.
- Report any maintenance or housekeeping issues to the environmental services help desk at (801) 581-2253.
- Assist with DVDs, crayons, and coloring books for children.
If you are unable to make your shift, please call the ED charge nurse at (801) 581-2292 and the volunteer office as soon as possible.