Volunteer in the Emergency Room
To support the emergency room staff
South Jordan Emergency Department manager, Volunteer Services coordinator
Completion of Department Specific Training/Competency
Open to all Health Sciences students and adults (Must be 18 or over)
The primary goal of Emergency Department volunteers is to ensure the comfort of patients, families, and visitors.
- Check in with the charge nurse at the beginning of each shift.
- Receive direction from the emergency room staff.
- Introduce self as a volunteer to the emergency department staff, patients, families, and visitors.
- Make patient rounds (leave door open), offer reassurance.
- Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality at all times.
- Ensure that all patients have access to "call lights" except in rooms 13 and 14 (these are psych rooms).
- Pick-up labs.
- Transport patients to X-Ray and/or MRI, as requested.
- Escort patients to rooms.
- Give assistance to clerical staff when requested.
- Inform patient's primary nurse if family members are requesting patient information.
- Inform the charge nurse of any family members they need to speak with.
- Maintain tidiness in the Emergency Department waiting room and bathroom.
- Report any maintenance or housekeeping issues to the environmental services help desk at 801-581-2253.
- Assist with DVDs, crayons, and coloring books for children.
- Do not review or write any patient information in patient charts.
- Do not participate in any clinical procedures.
- Do not wear scrubs.
The following observed signs or patient complaint should be called to a nurse's attention:
- Breathing difficulty
- Severe pain
- Chest pain of any kind
- Convulsive activity