Dermatology Services at University of Utah Health Care is here to assist community physicians and specialists with consultation and referral services. To refer a patient, please call the following:
Phone: (801) 581-2955, option 3
Mohs Surgery Referrals
Mohs Scheduling Line: (801) 581-4756
Fax: (801) 581-2895
The University of Utah, Department of Dermatology and Huntsman Cancer Institute greatly appreciates your referrals and will gladly assist you in providing the highest level of care for your patients who require Mohs micrographic surgery. We have set up the following guidelines to insure your patients are scheduled and treated in a timely manner.
Guidelines for Mohs Surgery Referral Process
Please let your patient know the following:
- Please ensure that your patient is aware of their biopsy results and that they are being referred for Mohs Micrographic Surgery for treatment of their skin cancer.
- Due to the high volume of referrals, it may take up to four weeks for the surgery to be performed; however, every effort will be made to schedule the patient for surgery at the earliest convenience. Please let your patient know how long the diagnosis can safely wait before being treated.
- A consult with us is not necessary, nor is it required prior to surgery. If the patient wishes to meet with one of the Mohs surgeons first, this can be arranged. However, there may be a longer wait for a consult than for the procedure, depending on the provider's schedule.
We cannot schedule a Mohs procedure without the following:
- Patient name, DOB, SS number, address and phone number
- Insurance information
- Preferred surgeon; if you have no preference, please write "first available" on the paperwork
- Specific about site that needs Mohs and the diagnosis for each site
- Any notes or messages relevant to the treatment
Note: due to the high volume of referrals, please allow us three to five business days to contact the patient before inquiring about their status.