Begin With These Steps
We want to help make the start of meeting your surgical weight loss goals as easy as possible. The following is a simple outline of the steps you'll take to get started.
✔ Attend a FREE patient information seminar - register here.
At this seminar you will be able to meet with the University of Utah Health bariatric surgery team and learn about the different bariatric surgeries and their requirements.
✔ Call your insurance company and ask if bariatric surgery is a covered benefit.
Please ask the following questions of your insurance company:
- Is bariatric surgery a covered benefit?
- What are the requirements that I need to fulfill before my surgery will be approved?
- Is University of Utah Health a covered facility?
- Is your surgeon a covered provider?
Your insurance company may want the following codes for the specific types of bariatric surgery:
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding – 43770
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass – 43644
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy – 43775
Some insurance companies require a period of medically supervised weight loss before they will cover bariatric surgery. This is to show the efforts of the patients to ensure they are willing to make the necessary changes in diet and lifestyle for bariatric surgery.
✔ Complete the following:
- Bariatric Surgery Program Questionnaire (intake form)
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea Questionnaire
- Smoking Policy
- Two-Day Food Record
Please thoroughly review and complete these forms as this will help our team gather all of the needed information as well as assist in obtaining authorization for your surgical procedure from your insurance company.
Please fax, email, or mail your completed materials to:
Fax: 801-587-7947 (Attn. Bariatric Surgery)
Mail: Bariatric Surgery Program
Clinic 5 50 North Medical Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
*Please note this is not a secure email address. If you would like to send your form to us through secure email, please call 801-587-3856 and we will send an email for you to respond to through our secure system.