Advance directives inform medical personnel of your wishes in the event that you are able. Every person over the age of 18 should have one. There are thousands of reasons why, but we have boiled it down to the top ten.
10. Because I am not a superhero!
Even if you were, you would still need an advance directive. Don't you think Superman would want to make sure everyone knew he was "allergic" to kryptonite? Wouldn't Wolverine want to make sure everyone steered clear of his claws?
9. So I can have control over what happens to me.
Only you know what you consider quality of life. This makes sure that your wishes are followed.
8. Because my family can't agree on anything!
Aunt Ida always thinks she knows better than your mom. If you have an advance directive a difficult time won't be made worse with family fights.
7. So I can appoint who I trust to make decisions for me.
Maybe it's your mom. Maybe it's your spouse. Maybe it's the only barista who spells your name right. The choice may not be obvious - but you know who it is. Make sure everyone else knows too.
6. Because no one knows better than me what is important.
Some people want a blessing at the end of life, and some do not. Some want a big a funeral, others only want close friends and family. Make sure that your voice is heard.
5. Because life is unpredictable!
You may not think you are putting yourself at risk, but being out in the world is a risk in itself.
4. Because having control over what happens at the end of life takes planning, just like retirement!
You wouldn't leave your 401k to the last minute for family and medical staff to decide.
3. Most likely, every physician you have met has one - for a reason!
They don't want to be making decisions for you. They want to do what you want.
2. We only get one chance at high-quality, customized end-of-life care.
There are no do overs when it comes to the end. You have to stick the landing.
1. Because the quality of my life matters.
Filling out an advance directive takes minutes, and can change your life. You can download your copy here.