Thank you for referring your patient to Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah.
Collaborating with referring providers is one of our top priorities. Through a united effort, we put patients and community first by ensuring cancer patients receive the best care in the most convenient location for them. We also offer doctors consults with our specialists about treatment options and clinical trials.
How To Refer a Patient
Oncology Patient Coordinators
Our Oncology Patient Coordinators (OPC) assist referring providers and streamline the process for patient care:
- Are a single point of contact for providers and patients
- Facilitate communication between clinical teams
- Conduct insurance verification and authorizations
- Help us provide an exceptional patient experience
- Conduct insurance verification and authorizations
We have made it easy for physicians to refer their patients for oncology services and second opinions. To get started, submit the required patient and provider information using one of the options below. After you submit this information, one of our care coordinators will contact you within 48 hours.
- Online Referral Form
- Phone: 801-587-7000
- Monday–Friday, 8 am–5 pm (Mountain)
- Fax: 801-213-6048
- Email: email@example.com
- Epic LINK: physicians.utah.edu/link
- Epic LINK allows you to connect to our electronic medical record system (EMR) to refer patients, track referral status, and review medical records.
Required Patient Information
- Legal name
- Date of birth
- Contact information
- Reason for referral
- All medical, pathology, and imaging reports related to referral request, including if performed at other centers
Required Referring Provider and Team Information
- Primary point of contact name and contact information
- Referring provider name and NPI
- Referring provider contact information (email, phone, and fax number)
- For direct communication between providers about the patient
- Referring practice name
- Referring practice address
- Referring practice phone and fax numbers
- Referring practice email
- Additional team members (APCs, nurses, etc.) involved in coordination of care (name and contact information)
- Does the patient know about the referral to Huntsman Cancer Institute?
- Is the patient a current inpatient at another hospital?
- Does the referring facility use EPIC EHR or participate in Care Everywhere?
- Create a referral: The referring provider can initiate a referral through the online form or by phone, email, fax, or an Epic LINK. An oncology patient coordinator will follow up within 48 hours. During this period, we will work to collect pertinent referral information.
- Review medical records: We will review the patient’s medical records. If additional records are required, we will request those from the patient or referring provider’s office.
- Verify insurance: Our team will verify patient insurance and seek financial authorization, ensuring the patient can receive the care they need.
- Appointment is scheduled: We will work with the patient to schedule an appointment with a member of our cancer care team. We will also coordinate any additional testing needed for the appointment. The patient will receive an email with information about their appointment and instructions for accessing MyChart.
- Follow up with referring provider: The oncology patient coordinator will ensure prompt follow-up communication between referring providers regarding referral status and appointments.
Why Refer to Huntsman Cancer Institute
When you refer a patient to Huntsman Cancer Institute, we are committed to helping you provide them with the best comprehensive care and oncological services. We respect your relationship with the patient as their primary care provider. As such, we promise to collaborate with you each step of the way while your patient is in our care:
Patient Centered: Patients and caregivers are at the heart of everything we do. From appointment scheduling to insurance verification to wellness offerings, we have a large team dedicated to ensuring their care with us is as convenient and comprehensive as possible.
Convenience: Offering multiple ways for you and your staff to refer patients makes the referral and follow-up process smooth and simple.
Expertise: Our experts specialize and have experience treating all forms of cancer, including rare cancers. We offer many diagnostic and treatment options for patients including minimally invasive surgery, systemic therapies, and clinical trials.
Team Approach: We use a multidisciplinary approach to ensure each patient receives the best care. Patients will benefit from the experience and expertise of a team of providers committed to compassionate and comprehensive cancer care.
Other Referral Services
Second Opinion Pathology
Our pathology referral service only provides consultations. We cannot offer treatment recommendations. Most insurance providers will reimburse the costs of second opinion consults. Follow-up reviews must be paid separately.
Inpatient Hospital Transfers
Huntsman Cancer Institute does not allow patients to schedule outpatient appointments until they have been discharged from their current hospital admission.
Our team of doctors and genetic counselors in the Family Cancer Assessment Clinic (FCAC) help patients and families to learn if genes play a role in their health history.
New Patient Information
Huntsman Cancer Institute is committed to providing the highest level of patient care. We offer many resources and services to new patients, including lodging information, directions to our hospital and clinics, and information about their first appointment. Learn more about new patient resources.
Comprehensive care is provided to all patients at Huntsman Cancer Institute. Interpreters are available for patients and caregivers who need assistance in languages other than English. Patients can request this service during appointment scheduling.
We accept a wide range of insurance plans to help ensure patients have access to the care they need. Patients will be assigned a financial advocate who can help them verify insurance coverage, navigate cost of services and payment options, and explore financial assistance options, if needed.