**A minimum time commitment of one shift per week for one year or 150 hours of volunteer service with the program is required.
HELP is structured program of care for hospitalized older patients designed to PREVENT delirium and functional decline throughout hospitalization. HELP goals are to maintain physical and cognitive functioning by utilizing daily interventions administered by volunteers.
Christine Lee, MS, CHES
Elder Life Specialist
Division of Geriatrics
- Reliable and caring; enjoy working with older patients
- Discreet, empathetic behavior and ability to exercise diplomacy in talking to patients, patient’s family and staff
- Ability to work independently and assume responsibility while providing non-clinical care
- Ability to refer questions to staff as needed
- Complete 16 hours of HELP Volunteer Training
- Daily visits to patients enrolled in HELP to provide support and orienting communication
- Participate in the Therapeutic Activities program by providing mentally stimulating activities at the bedside such as trivia, current events, reminiscing, playing games on iPad, Wii, etc.
- Assist in the Early Mobilization program by walking active patients and performing range of motion exercises with bedridden patients
- Provide assistance and companionship during meals
- Assist HELP staff members as requested