How to Be More Active
Welcome to tips for living a healthier life: the Healthy for Good Program (HFG). This week's tip (#3) is to Move More.
As a part of the Healthy for Good healthy living movement, you can receive two health tips via a text message per week. Text "HealthyUtah" to 51555.
Seven Ways to Move More
- Grab the leash and walk your dog. Your body — and your pooch — will thank you!
- Take your kid (or your spouse) for a walk. It's an excellent way to get some face time without screens. Keep it fun by exploring new neighborhoods or turning your walk into a scavenger hunt.
- Try the 10-Minute Workout. Stuck at home? Boost your heart rate and brain power with this quick home workout
- Walk and talk. Even if you're glued to your phone for work calls, you don't have to be glued to your chair. Make it a habit to talk and walk. Some workplaces have walking paths to make it even easier to burn while you earn.
- Tune into fitness. Retrain your inner couch potato. Walk or jog in place, do yoga or lift weights, or walk on the treadmill at the gym while you watch your must-see TV shows.
- Ditch the car. Spare yourself the parking stress and log some more active time by parking farther away (or even leaving the car at home) and walking or biking to your destination.
- Take the stairs. The elevator may go up — but it doesn't make your heart rate climb. Take the stairs when you can, even if just for a floor or two. And don't ride the escalator - climb it. Those can be active steps, too!
HFG is a partnership with the American Heart Association.