Nursing Practice and Patient Care
Nursing is an integral and valued part of the multidisciplinary care teams at Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI). Like all HCI staff, nurses are guided by HCI’s principles and vision. Our nurses are committed to providing quality, compassionate, and evidence-based care to ensure an exceptional patient and family experience before, during, and after cancer treatment. HCI takes pride in growing and developing the next generation of oncology nurses.
Message from Our Nursing Director
"When I talk about my passion for patient care and keeping my patients safe, it’s sometimes hard for me to hold back tears. It’s personal. These tears come from working shoulder to shoulder with my staff. It’s from walking into the patient’s room and assuring them that they are safe. It’s knowing our team will provide them with the care, love, and respect they deserve."
Lawrence Marsco MSN, RN, OCN
Senior Director of Nursing and Clinical Operations
Compassionate and Safe
We make a compassionate and safe environment for our staff and community a priority. HCI has established a Compassionate Workplace program to promote joy in work, foster resiliency, and support personal growth and development of our staff. We value equity, diversity, and inclusion, respect individual uniqueness, and celebrate our impact in the lives of those we serve.
Education and Training
In the rapidly evolving landscape of cancer care, HCI values a specialized oncology nursing workforce that is able to provide expert patient care and navigate unique challenges with strength and adaptability. We support our nurses in their practice through education, training, and professional development.
Foundational knowledge is delivered through comprehensive, oncology-specific didactic classes and programs, onboarding for new-graduate nurses through the Huntsman Oncology Nurse Residency (HONR) program, and educational support to meet the requirements for the Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN®) national certification.
Nurses promise to care for each patient with compassion, excellence, and integrity.
Huntsman Oncology Nurse Residency (HONR) Program
The HONR program is designed to help new nurses be successful in their first year of clinical practice. The program curriculum includes site-specific cancers, treatment modalities, symptom management, oncologic emergencies, an evidence-based practice (EBP) project to improve patient outcomes, mentorship, and professional development.
Read more about the HONR program or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Caring Promise of Nursing
As part of University of Utah Health, we are guided by the professional practice model called The Caring Promise of Nursing:
- We are lifelong learners who engage in research to advance practice and contribute to the pool of medical evidence.
- We use evidence-based practice, safety, and quality measures to provide exceptional care.
- With courage, we lead by example.
- We work collaboratively as vital members of a health team.
- As a voice for our patients, we advocate for care that aligns with their wishes and is in their best interest.
- We empower patients to participate in their health care and take a role in their continued wellness.
Specialty Units and Clinics
Inpatient Oncology Units
- Medical Oncology (HCH-4)
- Blood and Marrow Transplant/Hematology
- Surgical Oncology (HCH-5)
- HCI Intensive Care Unit (HICU)
Outpatient Oncology Clinics
- Clinic 1A - Thoracic, Head and Neck, Supportive Oncology and Survivorship, Interventional Pain
- Clinic 2B - Genitourinary, Gastrointestinal, Interventional Radiology
- Clinic 2C - Dermatology, Melanoma
- Clinic 2D - Hematology, Supportive Oncology and Survivorship
- Clinic 2E - Blood and Marrow Transplant, Multiple Myeloma, Genetics
- Clinic 3A - Breast, Neurology, Gynecology, Sarcoma
Outpatient Oncology Services
- Chemotherapy and Infusion
- Radiation Oncology
- Huntsman Cancer Institute Acute Care (HAC)
- Peri-Operative Services
- Operating Room (OR)
- Same Day Surgery
- Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU)
- Interventional Radiology
- Huntsman at Home
- Wellness and Integrative Health Center
Satellite Oncology Clinics
University of Utah Health ranks 1st for Inpatient Quality and 2nd for Ambulatory Quality in Vizient's 2020 annual rankings-a reflection of our staff's long-standing dedication to keeping patients at the center of our work and maintaining a culture of continuous improvement.
U of U Health has been a Top Tier Performer in the Vizient Inpatient Quality & Accountability Study for 11 years in a row. No other hospital has had a longer run and during that time, we have achieved the #1 ranking three times. Since its inception six years ago, we have also been a Top Tier Performer in the Ambulatory Quality & Accountability Study.