Medical Massage: Can a Massage Therapist Help My Health?
We offer medical massage our highly progressive and skilled rehabilitation clinic. Medical massage therapists are an integral part of a collaborative health care team that are skilled in techniques that emphasize treating specific conditions or diagnosis with the goal to rehabilitate towards a specific outcome as well as facilitate patients to meet their goals.
Medically-trained massage therapists work directly with patients who have undergone orthopedic surgical procedures, are rehabilitating from traumatic and acute injuries or have been diagnosed with chronic conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, lymphedema, migraine headache, etc.
We do chair massage "on location" where we come to you.
Relieve Stress Through Chair Massage
Stress, both physical and emotional is a common human condition. However, too much stress for too long has the potential to be harmful and contribute to long lasting negative effects on our health and sense of wellbeing.
Chronic states of stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, skin conditions, high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, and can worsen symptoms of pain and disease causing frequent visits to the doctor.
Negative Stress Symptoms
Massage helps to reduce the negative effects of stress and return your body and mind to a more relaxed and balanced state. Even 10 to 15 minutes of massage on a regular basis has a positive effect in reducing symptoms, such as:
- Digestive disorders,
- Insomnia due to stress,
- Pain due to fatigue, injury, and muscle tension,
When you’re in a good state of mind, you make good decisions for yourself about your job, your lifestyle, and your health.
Chair Massage Programs
To support and promote a work environment that enhances healthier, happier, and more productive people, we’ve created two chair massage programs:
- Special Event: We will come to your location and provide chair massage to enhance a meeting, event, or celebration. If you are interested in having this service at your location, please contact us.
- Spoil your Staff: An onsite chair massage program designed especially for University of Utah department managers and directors; our team of massage professionals will set up at your location making it easy to create a healthier, happier work environment and to show your staff how much their work is appreciated.
Our specialists offer range of table massages at the L. S. Skaggs Patient Wellness Center at University of Utah.
- Relaxation and Clinical massage: A customized massage designed to increase relaxation or ease discomfort and pain caused by overuse, inflammation, and other chronic issues. Both Relaxation and Clinical massage use a variety of techniques.
- Localized massage: This type of massage focuses on individual conditions in one or two areas of your body. Massage therapists use a combination of both firm and manipulative movements to break down tension, release adhesions (internal scar tissue), and ease pain and discomfort.
- Prenatal massage: This massage helps pregnant women reduce stress and improve their relaxation and overall wellness.
- Medical massage: Medical massage is offered in our highly progressive and skilled Integrative Heath Center. Medical massage therapists are an integral part of a collaborative health care team that is skilled in techniques that emphasize treating specific conditions or diagnoses with the goal to rehabilitate towards a specific outcome as well as facilitate patients to meet their goals.
What Are the Benefits of Massage Therapy?
Massage is valued for its ability to promote optimal body function, enhance overall health and wellness, and for many specific therapeutic effects, including these:
- Improves the health of cells and tissues in the body by assisting in tissue repair, especially in its regeneration phase
- Improves the function of circulation and lymphatic systems
- Alleviates the symptoms of stress and anxiety
- Promotes joint mobility and flexibility
- Promotes a sense of well-being
- Reduces muscle stiffness and soreness
- Relaxes hypertonic or tense muscles
- Stimulates the nervous system and increases body awareness
- Improves the function of the circulatory and lymphatic system and boost the immune system
- Softens and reduces scar tissue
Find a Location
Types of Massage
Injury Site Massage
Targeted injury site massage helps soft tissue injuries heal faster. Soft tissue injuries include muscle pulls, ligament sprains, tendonitis and whiplash. In addition, injury site massage reduces spasm, pain, swelling and the formation of scar tissue. Injury site massage targets the breakup of excess scar tissue and adhesions that weaken muscles and can contribute to further injury. It also increases circulation bringing needed nutrients to the area and removing waste products from the healing process.
Manual Lymph Drainage
Manual lymph drainage (MLD) is a specialized massage technique performed by a certified MLD therapist. An MLD therapist applies this gentle form of massage to encourage the natural drainage of the lymph from the tissues. Lymph is a mostly clear fluid that absorbs fats and delivers nutrients to the cells of the body. It also aids the immune system in removing and destroying waste, debris, dead blood cells, pathogens, toxins and cancer cells. Lymph nodes help to filter out these substances.
MLD uses a specific amount of pressure and rhythmic circular movements to stimulate lymph flow. This type of massage is generally recommended for those diagnosed with lymphedema and used to support and enhance their lymphedema therapy. However, MLD is beneficial for anyone wishing to boost lymphatic flow, such as those overcoming a sickness or recovering from a surgery or liposuction.
Carrying a baby challenges, changes, and stresses an expectant mother’s body in many ways. Prenatal massage treats mom-to-be to a delightful experience tailored specifically to her needs. It will help to relax tense muscles, relieve back, neck, and hip pain, reduce headaches, diminish edema, and reduce the stress and anxiety associated with pregnancy and labor.
A prenatal massage therapist is skilled in knowing the best possible positions and techniques for expectant mothers, as well as knowing which areas and conditions are contraindicated. Regular bodywork, throughout pregnancy, can help an expectant mother to have a more positive pregnancy and labor experience.
Sports massage focuses on muscles relevant to the event as well as on recovery from strenuous or excessive activity. Sports massage reduces pain, minimizes recovery time and increases range of motion and overall performance. For athletes who train continuously, the goal is to enhance endurance, lessen the chance of injury and shorten the time needed to recover from an event.
Prior to an athletic event, sports massage may be used with stretching in order to help athletes to loosen, warm and prepare their muscles so that their performance and endurance might be enhanced. Following an athletic event, sports massage may be used to relieve pain, prevent stiffness and return the muscles back to their normal state. Sports massage may also be used for injury rehabilitation.
Massage therapy is offered to patients as well as the general public.
The Prices have been updated as of August 4, 2022
|30 minute table massage sessions||$35 (no discount applicable)|
|60 minute table massage sessions||$65 ($5 discount for employees with active UID)|
*We do not bill insurance for these services. Payment is required at the time of appointment.
You must call to add these services to your appointment at least 24 hours in advance. You cannot add them at check-in.
Cold Stone: Your massage therapist will place cold marble stones in specific areas along your neck, face, and scalp. Your massage therapist can also use essential oils, which may help reduce inflammation and excess blood flow that can cause built-up pressure. For some patients, cold stone therapy is a good treatment for headaches and migraine pain.
Call ahead to add cold stone massage for $15.
Hot stone—placing hot stones directly on your body may help relax and soothe your muscles, letting your therapist access deeper muscle layers. (We only offer 90-minute treatments for hot stones). Call ahead to add hot stone message for $20.
Arrival to Your Massage
Please arrive for your onsite massage appointment five minutes prior to the scheduled starting time. If late arrival is inevitable, your service(s) will be shortened in order to keep on schedule. No full or partial refunds will be given.
Please provide at least 24 hours notice if you need to reschedule, cancel an appointment, or reduce your appointment hours to allow enough time to fill this time slot. If your appointment is on a Monday, notice must be given 24 hours before your appointment on the previous Friday. Weekends do not count toward the 24 hour notice policy.
Late Arrival Policy
We regret that late arrivals will not receive extension of scheduled onsite massage appointments. If the schedule allows, we may be able to accommodate a partial or full appointment. This will be at our discretion and only with proper, advanced notification of your late arrival. The original reservation fee will be charged.
Wellness & Integrative Health Services
Wellness & Integrative Health Services
At University of Utah Health we focus on providing a customized and integrated approach to empower patients, employees, trainees, and health care professionals to live a healthy life. We are an integral part of the health care solution that maximizes preventive care--the health in health care.