Interviewer: Three healthy snacks for your desk drawer. Theresa Dvorak's a registered dietitian. What are some healthy things I can put in my snack drawer at work that are probably better than what's already in there?
Theresa: Sure. Some key things that we want to look for with these particular food items is that it's a good source of protein, it's got complex carbohydrates, and it's high in fiber. These things are important because they give us some energy, but also it's sustaining energy, so it's going to help keep us full for a given period of time and not just quick sugars.
My top choices there would be something like a trail mix with some nuts and seeds and dried fruit, a granola bar, preferably not chocolate covered granola bars, those tend to be just like candy bars, and then something fresh like fruit and nuts. Keeping us away from the vending machine and in control of our choices.
updated: February 3, 2021
originally published: April 22, 2019
- From Prevention to Crisis: The Wide Range of SafeUT Support Services
- Beyond Performance: A Holistic Approach to Men's Sexual Health
- The SafeUT App: Your Digital Gateway to Mental Health Support in Utah
- A Patient's Guide to a Nose Job or Rhinoplasty
- Acute Spinal Cord Injury and Rehabilitation
- Could Your Shoulder Pain Be Arthritis?
- Is It Just a Phase or Something More? Understanding Your Child's Mental Health
- Screening for Depression Using SIGECAPS
- The Basics of High Blood Pressure
- Helping EMTs Save Kids with Breathing Emergencies