As a General Internist, Rachel Hess, MD, MS, provides primary care for adults. She has a special interest in women's health, particularly mid-life women's health. She is board certified in Internal Medicine. Her research focuses on understanding and improving patient-centered outcomes, such as health-related quality of life. She directs the Univeristy of Utah's Health System Innovation and Research Program.
Board CertificationAmerican Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine)
Patient Rating4.8 /5( out of 89 reviews )
The patient rating score is an average of all responses on our patient experience survey. The rating averages scores for all questions about care from our providers.
The scale on which responses are measured is 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patient comments are gathered from our patient experience survey and displayed in their entirety.
Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.September 08, 2023SUGAR HOUSE HEALTH CENTER
Dr. Hess is kind, professional and listens well to your concerns and questions. I truly appreciate her medical care and advice.September 08, 2023SUGAR HOUSE HEALTH CENTER
Same as above. She is a great doctor.August 31, 2023SUGAR HOUSE HEALTH CENTER
I have a great deal of trust in Dr. Hess and I appreciate how she manages my care with other specialists. She is brilliant and caring.August 11, 2023SUGAR HOUSE HEALTH CENTER
Dr Hess inspires confidence. She is easy to talk to and answers my questions thoroughly. I feel like Im a partner in my health care.July 13, 2023MADSEN HEALTH CENTER
Very patient, interested, caring, and has great ideas for changes to my routine.June 22, 2023MADSEN HEALTH CENTER
She is a wonderful doctor checks all the boxes. If I get sick with cold need support or meds, not sure how I will get in knowing how popular she is. Over all I rate her high with only two visits.May 11, 2023MADSEN HEALTH CENTER
Dr. Hess was great! She spent plenty of time managing my care and the appointment did not feel rushed. She listened to my concerns and addressed each one.April 27, 2023MADSEN HEALTH CENTER
She's an excellent doctor, and I received excellent care.March 24, 2023MADSEN HEALTH CENTER
Dr. Hess is an excellent physician and takes very good care of me. She's smart and I always look forward to my annual physical. She and her MA always get back to me in a timely manner.
As a General Internist, Rachel Hess, MD, MS, provides primary care for adults. She has a special interest in women's health, particularly mid-life women's health. She is board certified in Internal Medicine. Her research focuses on understanding and improving patient-centered outcomes, such as health-related quality of life. She directs the Univeristy of Utah's Health System Innovation and Research Program.
Board Certification and Academic Information
Academic Departments Population Health Sciences -Primary Internal Medicine -Primary Board CertificationAmerican Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine)
Fellowship General Internal Medicine, Women's Health - University of Pittsburgh and VA Pittsburgh Medical Center Fellow Clinical Research - University of Pittsburgh M.S. Chief Resident Internal Medicine - Western Pennsylvania Hospital Chief Resident Internal Medicine - Temple University Hospital Intern/Resident Professional Medical Medicine - University of New Mexico, School of Medicine M.D. Mathematics - Washington University B.A.
- Thomas HN, Hamm M, Krishnamurti T, Hess R, Borrero S, Thurston RC (In Press). "How much desire should I have?": A qualitative study of low libido in postmenopausal women. (Epub ahead of print) J Women Aging.
- Chavez-Yenter D, Kimball KE, Kohlmann W, Lorenz Chambers R, Bradshaw R, Espinel WF, Flynn M, Gammon A, Goldberg ER, Hagerty KJ, Hess R, Kessler C, Monahan R, Temares D, Tobik K, Mann DM, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Buys S, Ginsburg O, Kaphingst KA (). Investigating Patient Interactions with an Automated Conversational Agent Delivering Pre-test Genetics Education: A Descriptive Study. Investigating Patient Interactions with an Automated Conversational Agent Delivering Pre-test Genetics Education: A Descriptive Study. (Epub ahead of print) J Med Internet Res.
- Stevens ER, Agbakoba R, Mann DM, Hess R, Richardson SI, McGinn T, Smith PD, Halm W, Mundt MP, Dauber-Decker KL, Jones SA, Feldthouse DM, Kim EJ, Feldstein DA (2023). Reducing prescribing of antibiotics for acute respiratory infections using a frontline nurse-led EHR-Integrated clinical decision support tool: protocol for a stepped wedge randomized control trial. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak, 23(1), 260.
- Waetjen LE, Crawford SL, Gajer P, Brooks MM, Gold EB, Reed BD, Hess R, Ravel J (2023). Relationships between the vaginal microbiota and genitourinary syndrome of menopause symptoms in postmenopausal women: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation. Menopause, 30(11), 1073-1084.
- Snyder AM, Taliercio VL, Rich BE, Brandenberger AU, Webber LB, Biber JE, Hess R, Rhoads JL, Secrest AM (2023). Quality of Life and Avoiding Triggers of Atopic Dermatitis Flares: A Qualitative Study. Skinmed, 21(4), 233-235.
- Reiersen AM, Mattar C, Bender Ignacio RA, Boulware DR, Lee TC, Hess R, Lankowski AJ, McDonald EG, Miller JP, Powderly WG, Pullen MF, Rado JT, Rich MW, Schiffer JT, Schweiger J, Spivak AM, Stevens A, Vigod SN, Agarwal P, Yang L, Yingling M, Gettinger TR, Zorumski CF, Lenze EJ (2023). The STOP COVID 2 Study: Fluvoxamine vs Placebo for Outpatients With Symptomatic COVID-19, a Fully Remote Randomized Controlled Trial. Open Forum Infect Dis, 10(8), ofad419.
- Sharareh N, Bybee S, Goldstein E, Jones S, Hess R, Wallace A, Seligman H, Wilson FA (2023). Disparities in food insecurity between sexual minority and heterosexual adults - a higher burden on bisexual individuals. Front Public Health, 11, 1237091.
- Snyder AM, Taliercio VL, Brandenberger AU, Rich BE, Webber LB, Beshay AP, Biber JE, Hess R, Rhoads JLW, Secrest AM (2023). Atopic Dermatitis: A Qualitative Study on the Burdens of Living with Itchiness. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol, 16(7), 22-25.
- Horwitz LI, Thaweethai T, Brosnahan SB, Cicek MS, Fitzgerald ML, Goldman JD, Hess R, Hodder SL, Jacoby VL, Jordan MR, Krishnan JA, Laiyemo AO, Metz TD, Nichols L, Patzer RE, Sekar A, Singer NG, Stiles LE, Taylor BS, Ahmed S, Algren HA, Anglin K, Aponte-Soto L, Ashktorab H, Bassett IV, Bedi B, Bhadelia N, Bime C, Bind MC, Black LJ, Blomkalns AL, Brim H, Castro M, Chan J, Charney AW, Chen BK, Chen LQ, Chen P, Chestek D, Chibnik LB, Chow DC, Chu HY, Clifton RG, Collins S, Costantine MM, Cribbs SK, Deeks SG, Dickinson JD, Donohue SE, Durstenfeld MS, Emery IF, Erlandson KM, Facelli JC, Farah-Abraham R, Finn AV, Fischer MS, Flaherman VJ, Fleurimont J, Fonseca V, Gallagher EJ, Gander JC, Gennaro ML, Gibson KS, Go M, Goodman SN, Granger JP, Greenway FL, Hafner JW, Han JE, Harkins MS, Hauser KSP, Heath JR, Hernandez CR, Ho O, Hoffman MK, Hoover SE, Horowitz CR, Hsu H, Hsue PY, Hughes BL, Jagannathan P, James JA, John J, Jolley S, Judd SE, Juskowich JJ, Kanjilal DG, Karlson EW, Katz SD, Kelly JD, Kelly SW, Kim AY, Kirwan JP, Knox KS, Kumar A, Lamendola-Essel MF, Lanca M, Lee-Lannotti JK, Lefebvre RC, Levy BD, Lin JY, Logarbo BP Jr, Logue JK, Longo MT, Luciano CA, Lutrick K, Malakooti SK, Mallett G, Maranga G, Marathe JG, Marconi VC, Marshall GD, Martin CF, Martin JN, May HT, McComsey GA, McDonald D, Mendez-Figueroa H, Miele L, Mittleman MA, Mohandas S, Mouchati C, Mullington JM, Nadkarni GN, Nahin ER, Neuman RB, Newman LT, Nguyen A, Nikolich JZ, Ofotokun I, Ogbogu PU, Palatnik A, Palomares KTS, Parimon T, Parry S, Parthasarathy S, Patterson TF, Pearman A, Peluso MJ, Pemu P, Pettker CM, Plunkett BA, Pogreba-Brown K, Poppas A, Porterfield JZ, Quigley JG, Quinn DK, Raissy H, Rebello CJ, Reddy UM, Reece R, Reeder HT, Rischard FP, Rosas JM, Rosen CJ, Rouphael NG, Rouse DJ, Ruff AM, Saint Jean C, Sandoval GJ, Santana JL, Schlater SM, Sciurba FC, Selvaggi C, Seshadri S, Sesso HD, Shah DP, Shemesh E, Sherif ZA, Shinnick DJ, Simhan HN, Singh U, Sowles A, Subbian V, Sun J, Suthar MS, Teunis LJ, Thorp JM Jr, Ticotsky A, Tita ATN, Tragus R, Tuttle KR, Urdaneta AE, Utz PJ, VanWagoner TM, Vasey A, Vernon SD, Vidal C, Walker T, Ward HD, Warren DE, Weeks RM, Weiner SJ, Weyer JC, Wheeler JL, Whiteheart SW, Wiley Z, Williams NJ, Wisnivesky JP, Wood JC, Yee LM, Young NM, Zisis SN, Foulkes AS (2023). Researching COVID to Enhance Recovery (RECOVER) adult study protocol: Rationale, objectives, and design. PLoS One, 18(6), e0286297.
- Thaweethai T, Jolley SE, Karlson EW, Levitan EB, Levy B, McComsey GA, McCorkell L, Nadkarni GN, Parthasarathy S, Singh U, Walker TA, Selvaggi CA, Shinnick DJ, Schulte CCM, Atchley-Challenner R, Alba GA, Alicic R, Altman N, Anglin K, Argueta U, Ashktorab H, Baslet G, Bassett IV, Bateman L, Bedi B, Bhattacharyya S, Bind MA, Blomkalns AL, Bonilla H, Bush PA, Castro M, Chan J, Charney AW, Chen P, Chibnik LB, Chu HY, Clifton RG, Costantine MM, Cribbs SK, Davila Nieves SI, Deeks SG, Duven A, Emery IF, Erdmann N, Erlandson KM, Ernst KC, Farah-Abraham R, Farner CE, Feuerriegel EM, Fleurimont J, Fonseca V, Franko N, Gainer V, Gander JC, Gardner EM, Geng LN, Gibson KS, Go M, Goldman JD, Grebe H, Greenway FL, Habli M, Hafner J, Han JE, Hanson KA, Heath J, Hernandez C, Hess R, Hodder SL, Hoffman MK, Hoover SE, Huang B, Hughes BL, Jagannathan P, John J, Jordan MR, Katz SD, Kaufman ES, Kelly JD, Kelly SW, Kemp MM, Kirwan JP, Klein JD, Knox KS, Krishnan JA, Kumar A, Laiyemo AO, Lambert AA, Lanca M, Lee-Iannotti JK, Logarbo BP, Longo MT, Luciano CA, Lutrick K, Maley JH, Marathe JG, Marconi V, Marshall GD, Martin CF, Matusov Y, Mehari A, Mendez-Figueroa H, Mermelstein R, Metz TD, Morse R, Mosier J, Mouchati C, Mullington J, Murphy SN, Neuman RB, Nikolich JZ, Ofotokun I, Ojemakinde E, Palatnik A, Palomares K, Parimon T, Parry S, Patterson JE, Patterson TF, Patzer RE, Peluso MJ, Pemu P, Pettker CM, Plunkett BA, Pogreba-Brown K, Poppas A, Quigley JG, Reddy U, Reece R, Reeder H, Reeves WB, Reiman EM, Rischard F, Rosand J, Rouse DJ, Ruff A, Saade G, Sandoval GJ, Schlater SM, Shepherd F, Sherif ZA, Simhan H, Singer NG, Skupski DW, Sowles A, Sparks JA, Sukhera FI, Taylor BS, Teunis L, Thomas RJ, Thorp JM, Thuluvath P, Ticotsky A, Tita AT, Tuttle KR, Urdaneta AE, Valdivieso D, VanWagoner TM, Vasey A, Verduzco-Gutierrez M, Wallace ZS, Ward HD, Warren DE, Weiner SJ, Welch S, Whiteheart SW, Wiley Z, Wisnivesky JP, Yee LM, Zisis S, Horwitz LI, Foulkes AS, RECOVER Consortium (2023). Development of a Definition of Postacute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 Infection. JAMA, 329(22), 1934-1946.
- Sharareh N, Seligman HK, Adesoba TP, Wallace AS, Hess R, Wilson FA (2023). Food Insecurity Disparities Among Immigrants in the U.S. AJPM Focus, 2(3), 100113.
- Kukhareva PV, Li H, Caverly TJ, Del Fiol G, Fagerlin A, Butler JM, Hess R, Zhang Y, Taft T, Flynn MC, Reddy C, Martin DK, Rodriguez-Loya S, Warner PB, Kawamoto K (2023). Implementation of Lung Cancer Screening in Primary Care and Pulmonary Clinics: Pragmatic Clinical Trial of Electronic Health Record-Integrated Everyday Shared Decision Making Tool and Clinician-Facing Prompts. Chest.
- Halliday TM, McFadden M, Cedillo M, Barone Gibbs B, Hess R, Bryce C, Fischer GS, Huber K, McTigue KM, Conroy MB (2023). Lifestyle strategies after intentional weight loss: results from the MAINTAIN-pc randomized trial. Transl J Am Coll Sports Med, 8(2).
- Schlechter CR, Reese TJ, Wirth J, Gibson B, Kawamoto K, Siaperas T, Pruhs A, Pariera Dinkins C, Zhang Y, Friedrichs M, George S, Lam CY, Pierce JH, Borsato EP, Cornia RC, Stevens L, Martinez A, Bradshaw RL, Kaphingst KA, Hess R, Del Fiol G, Wetter DW (2023). Rapid-cycle designs to adapt interventions for COVID-19 in safety-net healthcare systems. Transl Behav Med, 13(6), 389-399.
- Spivak AM, Barney BJ, Greene T, Holubkov R, Olsen CS, Bridges J, Srivastava R, Webb B, Sebahar F, Huffman A, Pacchia CF, Dean JM, Hess R (2023). A Randomized Clinical Trial Testing Hydroxychloroquine for Reduction of SARS-CoV-2 Viral Shedding and Hospitalization in Early Outpatient COVID-19 Infection. Microbiol Spectr, 11(2), e0467422.
- Stagg BC, Tullis B, Asare A, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Weir C, Borbolla D, Hess R, Kawamoto K (2023). Systematic User-centered Design of a Prototype Clinical Decision Support System for Glaucoma. Ophthalmol Sci, 3(3), 100279.
- Snyder AM, Chen SC, Chren MM, Ferris LK, Edwards LD, Swerlick RA, Flint ND, Cizik AM, Hess R, Kean J, Secrest AM, Dermatology PRO Consortium (2023). Patient-Reported Outcome Measures and Their Clinical Applications in Dermatology. Am J Clin Dermatol, 24(4), 1-13.
- Mitj O, Reis G, Boulware DR, Spivak AM, Sarwar A, Johnston C, Webb B, Hill MD, Smith D, Kremsner P, Curran M, Carter D, Alexander J, Corbacho M, Lee TC, Hullsiek KH, McDonald EG, Hess R, Hughes M, Baeten JM, Schwartz I, Metz L, Richer L, Chew KW, Daar E, Wohl D, Dunne M (2023). Hydroxychloroquine for treatment of non-hospitalized adults with COVID-19: A meta-analysis of individual participant data of randomized trials. Clin Transl Sci.
- Cedillo M, Kukhareva PV, Larsen SM, McTigue KM, Bryce CL, Barone Gibbs B, Hess R, Huber K, Conroy MB (2022). Impact of electronic health record-coaching features in weight change: A secondary analysis from the MAINTAIN-pc randomized trial. Obesity (Silver Spring), 31(1), 31-36.
- Zenger B, Li H, Bunch TJ, Crawford C, Fang JC, Groh CA, Hess R, Navaravong L, Ranjan R, Young J, Zhang Y, Steinberg BA (2022). Major drivers of healthcare system costs and cost variability for routine atrial fibrillation ablation. Heart Rhythm O2, 4(4), 251-257.
- Swanson LM, Hood MM, Hall MH, Avis NE, Joffe H, Colvin A, Ruppert K, Kravitz HM, Neal-Perry G, Derby CA, Hess R, Harlow SD (2022). Sleep timing, sleep regularity, and psychological health in early late life women: Findings from the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN). Sleep Health.
- Rizzi SA, Torre M, Bunch TJ, Fang J, Hess R, Rodriguez-Correa C, Spertus JA, Stehlik J, Zhang M, Zhang Y, Steinberg BA (2022). Ejection Fraction Improvement Does Not Reflect Changes in Quality of Life Following Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy. Crit Pathw Cardiol, 21(4), 201-205.
- Liebermann E, Taber P, Vega AS, Daly BM, Goodman MS, Bradshaw R, Chan PA, Chavez-Yenter D, Hess R, Kessler C, Kohlmann W, Low S, Monahan R, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Buys SS, Sigireddi M, Ginsburg O, Kaphingst KA (2022). Barriers to family history collection among Spanish-speaking primary care patients: a BRIDGE qualitative study. PEC Innov, 1.
- Hopkins ZH, Kuceki G, Taliercio VL, Snyder AM, Stoddard GJ, Duffin KC, Hess R, Secrest AM (2022). Evaluation of Skindex-16 construct validity in routinely collected psoriasis data: a retrospective analysis of the relationship between overall physician global assessment scores and Skindex-16 and measure discordance. Arch Dermatol Res.
- Masters TM, Keith M, Hess R, Jenkins JL (2022). Do privacy assurances work? a study of truthfulness in healthcare history data collection. PLoS One, 17(11), e0276442.
- Stagg BC, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Horns J, Hartnett ME, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2022). The Frequency of Visual Field Testing in a US Nationwide Cohort of Individuals with Open-Angle Glaucoma. Ophthalmol Glaucoma, 5(6), 587-593.
- Chavez-Yenter D, Goodman MS, Chen Y, Chu X, Bradshaw RL, Lorenz Chambers R, Chan PA, Daly BM, Flynn M, Gammon A, Hess R, Kessler C, Kohlmann WK, Mann DM, Monahan R, Peel S, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Sigireddi M, Buys SS, Ginsburg O, Kaphingst KA (2022). Association of Disparities in Family History and Family Cancer History in the Electronic Health Record With Sex, Race, Hispanic or Latino Ethnicity, and Language Preference in 2 Large US Health Care Systems. JAMA Netw Open, 5(10), e2234574.
- Hayes HA, Marcus R, Stoddard GJ, McFadden M, Magel J, Hess R (2022). Is the Activity Measure for Postacute Care "6-Clicks" Tool Associated With Discharge Destination Postacute Stroke? Arch Rehabil Res Clin Transl, 4(4), 100228.
- Thomas HM, Hamm M, Krishnamurti T, Hess R, Borrero S, Thurston RC (2021). "How much desire should I have?": a qualitative study of low libido in postmenopausal women. J Women Aging, 34(5), 649-657.
- Taliercio VL, Snyder AM, Biggs AM, Kean J, Hess R, Duffin KC, Cizik AM, Secrest AM (2021). Clinicians' perspectives on the integration of electronic patient-reported outcomes into dermatology clinics: a qualitative study. Qual Life Res, 31(6), 1719-1725.
- Waetjen LE, Johnson WO, Xing G, Hess R, Avis NE, Reed BD, Dugan SA, Neal-Perry G, Gold EB, Study of Womens Health Across the Nation SWAN (2022). Patterns of Sexual Activity and the Development of Sexual Pain Across the Menopausal Transition. Obstet Gynecol, 139(6), 1130-1140.
- Snyder AM, Brandenberger AU, Taliercio VL, Rich BE, Webber LB, Beshay AP, Biber JE, Hess R, Rhoads JLW, Secrest AM (2022). Quality of Life Among Family of Patients with Atopic Dermatitis and Psoriasis. Int J Behav Med.
- Gangannagaripalli J, Albagli A, Myers SN, Whittaker S, Joseph A, Clarke A, Matkin L, Alonso J, Byock I, van den Berg M, Canfield C, Chaplin J, Dapueto J, de Almedia Fleck MP, Sidey-Gibbons C, Hazelzet J, Hess R, Immonen K, Joyner S, Katz C, Kerrigan C, Lam C, Lunn J, McKenzie F, Roeves A, Stowell C, Switaj T, Tinsley M, Zimlichman E, Valderas JM (2021). A Standard Set of Value-Based Patient-Centered Outcomes and Measures of Overall Health in Adults. Patient, 15(3), 341-351.
- Kukhareva PV, Caverly TJ, Li H, Katki HA, Cheung LC, Reese TJ, Del Fiol G, Hess R, Wetter DW, Zhang Y, Taft TY, Flynn MC, Kawamoto K (2021). Inaccuracies in electronic health records smoking data and a potential approach to address resulting underestimation in determining lung cancer screening eligibility. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29(5), 779-788.
- Bradshaw RL, Kawamoto K, Kaphingst KA, Kohlmann WK, Hess R, Flynn MC, Nanjo CJ, Warner PB, Shi J, Morgan K, Kimball K, Ranade-Kharkar P, Ginsburg O, Goodman M, Chambers R, Mann D, Narus SP, Gonzalez J, Loomis S, Chan P, Monahan R, Borsato EP, Shields DE, Martin DK, Kessler CM, Del Fiol G (2021). GARDE: a standards-based clinical decision support platform for identifying population health management cohorts. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29(5), 928-936.
- Chavez-Yenter D, Kimball KE, Kohlmann W, Lorenz Chambers R, Bradshaw RL, Espinel WF, Flynn M, Gammon A, Goldberg E, Hagerty KJ, Hess R, Kessler C, Monahan R, Temares D, Tobik K, Mann DM, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Buys SS, Ginsburg O, Kaphingst KA (2021). Patient Interactions With an Automated Conversational Agent Delivering Pretest Genetics Education: Descriptive Study. J Med Internet Res, 23(11), e29447.
- Snyder AM, Taliercio VL, Brandenberger AU, Rich BE, Webber LB, Beshay AP, Biber JE, Hess R, Rhoads JLW, Secrest AM (2021). Effects of Pain From Atopic Dermatitis: Interview and Focus Group Study With Patients and Their Families. JMIR Dermatol, 4(2), e29826.
- Reese TJ, Schlechter CR, Kramer H, Kukhareva P, Weir CR, Del Fiol G, Caverly T, Hess R, Flynn MC, Taft T, Kawamoto K (2021). Implementing lung cancer screening in primary care: needs assessment and implementation strategy design. Transl Behav Med, 12, 187-197.
- Wohlfahrt P, Nativi-Nicolau J, Zhang M, Selzman CH, Greene T, Conte J, Biber JE, Hess R, Mondesir FL, Wever-Pinzon O, Drakos SG, Gilbert EM, Kemeyou L, LaSalle B, Steinberg BA, Shah RU, Fang JC, Spertus JA, Stehlik J (2022). Quality of Life in Patients With Heart Failure With Recovered Ejection Fraction. JAMA Cardiol, 6(8), 957-962.
- Kawamoto K, Kukhareva PV, Weir C, Flynn MC, Nanjo CJ, Martin DK, Warner PB, Shields DE, Rodriguez-Loya S, Bradshaw RL, Cornia RC, Reese TJ, Kramer HS, Taft T, Curran RL, Morgan KL, Borbolla D, Hightower M, Turnbull WJ, Strong MB, Chapman WW, Gregory T, Stipelman CH, Shakib JH, Hess R, Boltax JP, Habboushe JP, Sakaguchi F, Turner KM, Narus SP, Tarumi S, Takeuchi W, Ban H, Wetter DW, Lam C, Caverly TJ, Fagerlin A, Norlin C, Malone DC, Kaphingst KA, Kohlmann WK, Brooke BS, Del Fiol G (2021). Establishing a multidisciplinary initiative for interoperable electronic health record innovations at an academic medical center. JAMIA Open, 4(3), ooab041.
- Steinberg BA, Zhang M, Bensch J, Lyons A, Bunch TJ, Piccini JP, Siu A, Spertus JA, Stehlik J, Wohlfahrt P, Greene T, Hess R, Fang JC (2021). Quantifying the Impact of Atrial Fibrillation on HF-Related Patient-Reported Outcomes in the Utah mEVAL Program. J Card Fail, 28, 13-20.
- Kaphingst KA, Kohlmann W, Chambers RL, Goodman MS, Bradshaw R, Chan PA, Chavez-Yenter D, Colonna SV, Espinel WF, Everett JN, Gammon A, Goldberg ER, Gonzalez J, Hagerty KJ, Hess R, Kehoe K, Kessler C, Kimball KE, Loomis S, Martinez TR, Monahan R, Schiffman JD, Temares D, Tobik K, Wetter DW, Mann DM, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Buys SS, Ginsburg O, BRIDGE research team (2021). Comparing models of delivery for cancer genetics services among patients receiving primary care who meet criteria for genetic evaluation in two healthcare systems: BRIDGE randomized controlled trial. BMC Health Serv Res, 21(1), 542.
- Taliercio VL, Snyder AM, Webber LB, Langner AU, Rich BE, Beshay AP, Ose D, Biber JE, Hess R, Rhoads JLW, Secrest AM (2021). The Disruptiveness of Itchiness from Psoriasis: A Qualitative Study of the Impact of a Single Symptom on Quality of Life. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol, 14(6), 42-48.
- Jones WS, Mulder H, Wruck LM, Pencina MJ, Kripalani S, Muoz D, Crenshaw DL, Effron MB, Re RN, Gupta K, Anderson RD, Pepine CJ, Handberg EM, Manning BR, Jain SK, Girotra S, Riley D, DeWalt DA, Whittle J, Goldberg YH, Roger VL, Hess R, Benziger CP, Farrehi P, Zhou L, Ford DE, Haynes K, VanWormer JJ, Knowlton KU, Kraschnewski JL, Polonsky TS, Fintel DJ, Ahmad FS, McClay JC, Campbell JR, Bell DS, Fonarow GC, Bradley SM, Paranjape A, Roe MT, Robertson HR, Curtis LH, Sharlow AG, Berdan LG, Hammill BG, Harris DF, Qualls LG, Marquis-Gravel G, Modrow MF, Marcus GM, Carton TW, Nauman E, Waitman LR, Kho AN, Shenkman EA, McTigue KM, Kaushal R, Masoudi FA, Antman EM, Davidson DR, Edgley K, Merritt JG, Brown LS, Zemon DN, McCormick TE 3rd, Alikhaani JD, Gregoire KC, Rothman RL, Harrington RA, Hernandez AF, ADAPTABLE Team (2021). Comparative Effectiveness of Aspirin Dosing in Cardiovascular Disease. N Engl J Med, 384(21), 1981-1990.
- Stagg B, Mariottoni EB, Berchuck S, Jammal A, Elam AR, Hess R, Kawamoto K, Haaland B, Medeiros FA (2021). Longitudinal visual field variability and the ability to detect glaucoma progression in black and white individuals. Br J Ophthalmol, 106, 1115-1120.
- Stagg BC, Granger A, Guetterman TC, Hess R, Lee PP (2021). The Burden of Caring for and Treating Glaucoma: The Patient Perspective. Ophthalmol Glaucoma, 5, 32-39.
- Bress AP, Greene T, Derington CG, Shen J, Xu Y, Zhang Y, Ying J, Bellows BK, Cushman WC, Whelton PK, Pajewski NM, Reboussin D, Beddu S, Hess R, Herrick JS, Zhang Z, Kolm P, Yeh RW, Basu S, Weintraub WS, Moran AE, SPRINT Research Group (2021). Patient Selection for Intensive Blood Pressure Management Based on Benefit and Adverse Events. J Am Coll Cardiol, 77(16), 1977-1990.
- Derington CG, Cohen JB, Mohanty AF, Greene TH, Cook J, Ying J, Wei G, Herrick JS, Stevens VW, Jones BE, Wang L, Zheutlin AR, South AM, Hanff TC, Smith SM, Cooper-DeHoff RM, King JB, Alexander GC, Berlowitz DR, Ahmad FS, Penrod MJ, Hess R, Conroy MB, Fang JC, Rubin MA, Beddhu S, Cheung AK, Xian W, Weintraub WS, Bress AP (2021). Angiotensin II receptor blocker or angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor use and COVID-19-related outcomes among US Veterans. PLoS One, 16(4), e0248080.
- Flume PA, Berbari EF, Viera L, Hess R, Higgins J, Armstrong J, Rice L, True L, Shaker R, Buse JB, Panettieri RA Jr (2021). Managing the risks and benefits of clinical research in response to a pandemic. J Clin Transl Sci, 5(1), e105.
- Avis NE, Colvin A, Hess R, Bromberger JT (2020). Midlife Factors Related to Psychological Well-Being at an Older Age: Study of Women's Health Across the Nation. J Womens Health (Larchmt), 30(3), 332-340.
- Marquis-Gravel G, Robertson H, Jones WS, Riley D, Ford DE, Crenshaw D, Joosten YA, Rudov L, Hernandez AF, Hess R (2021). Streamlining the institutional review board process in pragmatic randomized clinical trials: challenges and lessons learned from the Aspirin Dosing: A Patient-centric Trial Assessing Benefits and Long-Term Effectiveness (ADAPTABLE) trial. Trials, 22(1), 90.
- Stagg B, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Cummins M, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2021). Interests and needs of eye care providers in clinical decision support for glaucoma. BMJ Open Ophthalmol, 6(1), e000639.
- Stagg BC, Gupta D, Ehrlich JR, Newman-Casey PA, Stein JD, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2020). The Use of eHealth Practices by United States Patients with Self-Reported Glaucoma. Ophthalmol Glaucoma, 4(1), 71-77.
- Stagg BC, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Wirostko B, Crandall A, Hartnett ME, Cummins M, Morris A, Hess R, Kawamoto K (2020). Special Commentary: Using Clinical Decision Support Systems to Bring Predictive Models to the Glaucoma Clinic. Ophthalmol Glaucoma, 4(1), 5-9.
- Zenger B, Zhang M, Lyons A, Bunch TJ, Fang JC, Freedman RA, Navaravong L, Piccini JP, Ranjan R, Spertus JA, Stehlik J, Turner JL, Greene T, Hess R, Steinberg BA (2020). Patient-reported outcomes and subsequent management in atrial fibrillation clinical practice: Results from the Utah mEVAL AF program. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol, 31(12), 3187-3195.
- Colvin CL, King JB, Oparil S, Wright JT Jr, Ogedegbe G, Mohanty A, Hardy ST, Huang L, Hess R, Muntner P, Bress A (2020). Association of Race/Ethnicity-Specific Changes in Antihypertensive Medication Classes Initiated Among Medicare Beneficiaries With the Eighth Joint National Committee Panel Member Report. JAMA Netw Open, 3(11), e2025127.
- Gibbs BB, Tudorascu D, Bryce CL, Comer D, Fischer GS, Hess R, Huber KA, McTigue KM, Simkin-Silverman LR, Conroy MB (2020). Lifestyle Habits Associated with Weight Regain After Intentional Loss in Primary Care Patients Participating in a Randomized Trial. J Gen Intern Med, 35(11), 3227-3233.
- Mann D, Hess R, McGinn T, Richardson S, Jones S, Palmisano J, Chokshi SK, Mishuris R, McCullagh L, Park L, Dinh-Le C, Smith P, Feldstein D (2020). Impact of Clinical Decision Support on Antibiotic Prescribing for Acute Respiratory Infections: a Cluster Randomized Implementation Trial. J Gen Intern Med, 35(Suppl 2), 788-795.
- Taber P, Ghani P, Schiffman JD, Kohlmann W, Hess R, Chidambaram V, Kawamoto K, Waller RG, Borbolla D, Del Fiol G, Weir C (2020). Physicians' strategies for using family history data: having the data is not the same as using the data. JAMIA Open, 3(3), 378-385.
- Secrest AM, Hopkins ZH, Frost ZE, Taliercio VL, Edwards LD, Biber JE, Chen SC, Chren MM, Ferris LK, Kean J, Hess R, Dermatology PRO Consortium (2020). Quality of Life Assessed Using Skindex-16 Scores Among Patients With Acne Receiving Isotretinoin Treatment. JAMA Dermatol, 156(10), 1098-1106.
- Stagg BC, Gupta D, Ehrlich JR, Newman-Casey PA, Stein JD, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2020). Evaluation for Disparities in Experience With Internet-Based Health Care Among US Patients With Chronic Eye Diseases. JAMA Ophthalmol, 138(10), 1097-1099.
- Schaeffer AJ, Cartwright PC, Lau GA, Ebert MD, Fino NF, Nkoy FL, Hess R (2020). Utilization of Radiographic Imaging for Infant Hydronephrosis over the First 12 Months of Life. Adv Urol, 2020, 2108362.
- Hadler RA, Curtis BR, Ikejiani DZ, Bekelman DB, Harinstein M, Bakitas MA, Hess R, Arnold RM, Kavalieratos D (2020). "I'd Have to Basically Be on My Deathbed": Heart Failure Patients' Perceptions of and Preferences for Palliative Care. J Palliat Med, 23(7), 915-921.
- Sharareh N, Hess R, Wan N, Zick CD, Wallace AS (2020). Incorporation of Information-Seeking Behavior Into Food Insecurity Research. Am J Prev Med, 58(6), 879-887.
- Avis NE, Levine B, Goyal N, Crawford SL, Hess R, Colvin A, Bromberger JT, Greendale GA (2020). Health-related quality of life among breast cancer survivors and noncancer controls over 10 years: Pink SWAN. Cancer, 126(10), 2296-2304.
- Sharareh N, Hess R, White S, Dunn A, Singer PM, Cochran J (2020). A vulnerability assessment for the HCV infections associated with injection drug use. Prev Med, 134, 106040.
- Turner JL, Lyons A, Shah RU, Zenger B, Hess R, Steinberg BA (2020). Accuracy of Patient Identification of Electrocardiogram-Verified Atrial Arrhythmias. JAMA Netw Open, 3(5), e205431.
- Gaufin M, Hess R, Hopkins ZH, Biber JE, Secrest AM (2019). Practical screening for depression in dermatology: using technology to improve care. Br J Dermatol, 182(3), 786-787.
- Steinberg BA, Turner J, Lyons A, Biber J, Chelu MG, Fang JC, Freedman RA, Han FT, Hardisty B, Marrouche NF, Ranjan R, Shah RU, Spertus JA, Stehlik J, Zenger B, Piccini JP, Hess R (2019). Systematic collection of patient-reported outcomes in atrial fibrillation: feasibility and initial results of the Utah mEVAL AF programme. Europace, 22(3), 368-374.
- Thomas HN, Hamm M, Hess R, Borrero S, Thurston RC (2019). "I want to feel like I used to feel": a qualitative study of causes of low libido in postmenopausal women. Menopause, 27(3), 289-294.
- Van Tassell JC, Shimbo D, Hess R, Kittles R, Wilson JG, Jorde LB, Li M, Lange LA, Lange EM, Muntner P, Bress AP (2020). Association of West African ancestry and blood pressure control among African Americans taking antihypertensive medication in the Jackson Heart Study. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich), 22(2), 157-166.
- Wohlfahrt P, Zickmund SL, Slager S, Allen LA, Nicolau JN, Kfoury AG, Felker GM, Conte J, Flint K, DeVore AD, Selzman CH, Hess R, Spertus JA, Stehlik J (2020). Provider Perspectives on the Feasibility and Utility of Routine Patient-Reported Outcomes Assessment in Heart Failure: A Qualitative Analysis. J Am Heart Assoc, 9(2), e013047.
- Del Fiol G, Kohlmann W, Bradshaw RL, Weir CR, Flynn M, Hess R, Schiffman JD, Nanjo C, Kawamoto K (2020). Standards-Based Clinical Decision Support Platform to Manage Patients Who Meet Guideline-Based Criteria for Genetic Evaluation of Familial Cancer. JCO Clin Cancer Inform, 4, 1-9.
- Conroy MB, McTigue KM, Bryce CL, Tudorascu D, Gibbs BB, Arnold J, Comer D, Hess R, Huber K, Simkin-Silverman LR, Fischer GS (2019). Effect of Electronic Health Record-Based Coaching on Weight Maintenance: A Randomized Trial. Ann Intern Med, 171(11), 777-784.
- Mishuris RG, Palmisano J, McCullagh L, Hess R, Feldstein DA, Smith PD, McGinn T, Mann DM (2019). Using normalisation process theory to understand workflow implications of decision support implementation across diverse primary care settings. BMJ Health Care Inform, 26(1).
- Sharareh N, Sabounchi SS, McFarland M, Hess R (2019). Evidence of Modeling Impact in Development of Policies for Controlling the Opioid Epidemic and Improving Public Health: A Scoping Review. Subst Abuse, 13, 1178221819866211.
- Steinberg BA, Dorian P, Anstrom KJ, Hess R, Mark DB, Noseworthy PA, Spertus JA, Piccini JP (2019). Patient-Reported Outcomes in Atrial Fibrillation Research: Results of a Clinicaltrials.gov Analysis. JACC Clin Electrophysiol, 5(5), 599-605.
- Richardson S, Feldstein D, McGinn T, Park LS, Khan S, Hess R, Smith PD, Mishuris RG, McCullagh L, Mann D (2019). Live Usability Testing of Two Complex Clinical Decision Support Tools: Observational Study. JMIR Hum Factors, 6(2), e12471.
- Rogers J, Spina N, Neese A, Hess R, Brodke D, Lex A (2019). Composer-Visual Cohort Analysis of Patient Outcomes. Appl Clin Inform, 10(2), 278-285.
- Mann D, Hess R, McGinn T, Mishuris R, Chokshi S, McCullagh L, Smith PD, Palmisano J, Richardson S, Feldstein DA (2019). Adaptive design of a clinical decision support tool: What the impact on utilization rates means for future CDS research. Digit Health, 5, 2055207619827716.
- Hanmer J, Yu L, Li J, Kavalieratos D, Peterson L, Hess R (2018). The diagnosis of asymptomatic disease is associated with fewer healthy days: A cross sectional analysis from the national health and nutrition examination survey. Br J Health Psychol, 24(1), 88-101.
- Thomas HN, Hamm M, Borrero S, Hess R, Thurston RC (2018). Body Image, Attractiveness, and Sexual Satisfaction Among Midlife Women: A Qualitative Study. J Womens Health (Larchmt), 28(1), 100-106.
- Ulrich CM, Himbert C, Boucher K, Wetter DW, Hess R, Kim J, Lundberg K, Ligibel JA, Barnes CA, Rushton B, Marcus R, Finlayson SRG, LaStayo PC, Varghese TK (2018). Precision-Exercise-Prescription in patients with lung cancer undergoing surgery: rationale and design of the PEP study trial. BMJ Open, 8(12), e024672.
- Kawamanto K, Flynn MC, Kukhareva P, ElHalta D, Hess R, Gregory T, Walls C, Wigren AM, Borbolla D, Bray BE, Parsons MH, Clayson BL, Briley MS, Stipelman CH, Taylor D, King CS, Del Fiol G, Reese TJ, Weir CR, Taft T, Strong MB (2018). A Pragmatic Guide to Establishing Clinical Decision Support Governance and Addressing Decision Support Fatigue: a Case Study. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2018, 624-633.
- Thomas HN, Neal-Perry GS, Hess R (2018). Female Sexual Function at Midlife and Beyond. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am, 45(4), 709-722.
- Avis NE, Colvin A, Bromberger JT, Hess R (2017). Midlife Predictors of Health-Related Quality of Life in Older Women. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 73(11), 1574-1580.
- Waetjen LE, Crawford SL, Chang PY, Reed BD, Hess R, Avis NE, Harlow SD, Greendale GA, Dugan SA, Gold EB, Study of Womens Health Across the Nation SWAN (2018). Factors associated with developing vaginal dryness symptoms in women transitioning through menopause: a longitudinal study. Menopause, 25(10), 1094-1104.
- Biber J, Ose D, Reese J, Gardiner A, Facelli J, Spuhl J, Brodke D, Lee VS, Hess R, Weeks H (2018). Patient reported outcomes - experiences with implementation in a University Health Care setting. J Patient Rep Outcomes, 2, 34.
- Frech TM, Hess R, Biber J, Young J, Hardman A, Weeks H, Peterson KA, Scholand MB (2018). Can Routine Use of Patient-Reported Outcomes Help Guide Systemic Sclerosis Chronic Disease Care? J Clin Rheumatol, 24(5), 272-274.
- Dewitt B, Feeny D, Fischhoff B, Cella D, Hays RD, Hess R, Pilkonis PA, Revicki DA, Roberts MS, Tsevat J, Yu L, Hanmer J (2018). Estimation of a Preference-Based Summary Score for the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System: The PROMIS®-Preference (PROPr) Scoring System. Med Decis Making, 38(6), 683-698.
- Hanmer J, Dewitt B, Yu L, Tsevat J, Roberts M, Revicki D, Pilkonis PA, Hess R, Hays RD, Fischhoff B, Feeny D, Condon D, Cella D (2018). Cross-sectional validation of the PROMIS-Preference scoring system. PLoS One, 13(7), e0201093.
- Hanmer J, Cella D, Feeny D, Fischhoff B, Hays RD, Hess R, Pilkonis PA, Revicki D, Roberts M, Tsevat J, Yu L (2018). Evaluation of options for presenting health-states from PROMIS® item banks for valuation exercises. Qual Life Res, 27(7), 1835-1843.
- Hanna RM, Fischer G, Conroy MB, Bryce C, Hess R, McTigue K (2018). Online Lifestyle Modification Intervention: Survey of Primary Care Providers' Attitudes and Views. J Med Internet Res, 20(6), e167.
- Booth JN III, Li M, Shimbo D, Hess R, Irvin MR, Kittles R, Wilson JG, Jorde LB, Cheung AK, Lange LA, Lange EM, Yano Y, Muntner P, Bress AP (2017). West African Ancestry and Nocturnal Blood Pressure in African Americans: The Jackson Heart Study. Am J Hypertens, 31(6), 706-714.
- Thackeray A, Hess R, Dorius J, Brodke D, Fritz J (2017). Relationship of Opioid Prescriptions to Physical Therapy Referral and Participation for Medicaid Patients with New-Onset Low Back Pain. J Am Board Fam Med, 30(6), 784-794.
- Bress AP, Bellows BK, King JB, Hess R, Beddhu S, Zhang Z, Berlowitz DR, Conroy MB, Fine L, Oparil S, Morisky DE, Kazis LE, Ruiz-Negrn N, Powell J, Tamariz L, Whittle J, Wright JT Jr, Supiano MA, Cheung AK, Weintraub WS, Moran AE, SPRINT Research Group (2017). Cost-Effectiveness of Intensive versus Standard Blood-Pressure Control. N Engl J Med, 377(8), 745-755.
- Byington CL, Rothwell E, Matheson T, Childs R, Wachs E, Rocha R, Murtaugh M, Turok D, Letsou A, Shakib J, Hess R, Dere W (2017). Developing sustainable research careers for KL2 scholars: The importance of an inclusive environment and mentorship. J Clin Transl Sci, 1(4), 226-228.
- Thomas HN, Hamm M, Hess R, Borrero S, Thurston RC (2017). Patient-Centered Outcomes and Treatment Preferences Regarding Sexual Problems: A Qualitative Study Among Midlife Women. J Sex Med, 14(8), 1011-1017.
- Bress AP, Kramer H, Khatib R, Beddhu S, Cheung AK, Hess R, Bansal VK, Cao G, Yee J, Moran AE, Durazo-Arvizu R, Muntner P, Cooper RS (2017). Potential Deaths Averted and Serious Adverse Events Incurred From Adoption of the SPRINT (Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial) Intensive Blood Pressure Regimen in the United States: Projections From NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey). Circulation, 135(17), 1617-1628.
- Gibbs BB, Tudorascu D, Bryce CL, Comer D, Fischer GS, Hess R, Huber KA, McTigue KM, Simkin-Silverman LR, Conroy MB (2017). Diet and Physical Activity Behaviors in Primary Care Patients with Recent Intentional Weight Loss. Transl J Am Coll Sports Med, 2(18), 114-121.
- Bress A, Tanner RM, Hess R, Gidding SS, Colantonio LD, Shimbo D, Muntner P (2016). Prevalence of Eligibility Criteria for the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial in US Adults Among Excluded Groups: Age <50 Years, Diabetes, or a History of Stroke. J Am Soc Hypertens, 10 Suppl 1, e6-e7.
- Smith KJ, Kuo S, Zgibor JC, McTigue KM, Hess R, Bhargava T, Bryce CL (2016). Cost effectiveness of an internet-delivered lifestyle intervention in primary care patients with high cardiovascular risk. Prev Med, 87, 103-109.
- Bress AP, Tanner RM, Hess R, Colantonio LD, Shimbo D, Muntner P (2016). Generalizability of SPRINT Results to the U.S. Adult Population. J Am Coll Cardiol, 67(5), 463-72.
- Mann DM, Hess R (2015). Academic Medical Center R&D: A Call for Creating an Operational Research Infrastructure within the Academic Medical Center. Clin Transl Sci, 8(6), 871-2.
- Hanmer J, Feeny D, Fischhoff B, Hays RD, Hess R, Pilkonis PA, Revicki DA, Roberts MS, Tsevat J, Yu L (2015). The PROMIS of QALYs. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 13, 122.
- Thomas HN, Hess R, Thurston RC (2015). Correlates of Sexual Activity and Satisfaction in Midlife and Older Women. Ann Fam Med, 13(4), 336-42.
- Avis NE, Crawford SL, Greendale G, Bromberger JT, Everson-Rose SA, Gold EB, Hess R, Joffe H, Kravitz HM, Tepper PG, Thurston RC, Study of Womens Health Across the Nation (2015). Duration of menopausal vasomotor symptoms over the menopause transition. JAMA Intern Med, 175(4), 531-9.
- Corbelli JA, Shaikh N, Wessel CB, Hess R (2015). Low Dose Transdermal Estradiol for Vasomotor Symptoms: A Systematic Review. Menopause, 22(1), 114-21.
- Prairie BA, Wisniewski SR, Luther J, Hess R, Thurston RC, Wisner KL, Bromberger JT (2015). Symptoms of depressed mood, disturbed sleep, and sexual problems in midlife women: cross-sectional data from the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation. J Womens Health (Larchmt), 24(2), 119-26.
- Hess R, Tindle H, Conroy MB, Clark S, Yablonsky E, Hays RD (2014). A randomized controlled pilot trial of the functional assessment screening tablet to engage patients at the point of care. J Gen Intern Med, 29(12), 1641-9.
- Hess R, Fischer GS, Sullivan SM, Dong X, Weimer M, Zeith C, Clark S, Roberts MS (2014). Patterns of response to patient-centered decision support through a personal health record. Telemed J E Health, 20(11), 984-9.
- Sherifali D, Hess R, McTigue KM, Brozic A, Ng K, Gerstein H (2014). Evaluating the feasibility and impact of an internet-based lifestyle management program in a diabetes care setting. Diabetes Technol Ther, 16(6), 358-62.
- Simonetti JA, Fine MJ, Chen YF, Simak D, Hess R (2014). Racial comparisons of diabetes care and intermediate outcomes in a patient-centered medical home. Diabetes Care, 37(4), 993-1001.
- Thomas HN, Chang CC, Dillon S, Hess R (2014). Sexual activity in midlife women: importance of sex matters. JAMA Intern Med, 174(4), 631-3.
- Lyden JR, Zickmund SL, Bhargava TD, Bryce CL, Conroy MB, Fischer GS, Hess R, Simkin-Silverman LR, McTigue KM (2013). Implementing health information technology in a patient-centered manner: patient experiences with an online evidence-based lifestyle intervention. J Healthc Qual, 35(5), 47-57.
- Hess R, Huang AJ, Richter HE, Ghetti CC, Sung VW, Barrett-Connor E, Gregory WT, Pinkerton JV, Bradley CS, Kraus SR, Rogers RG, Subak LL, Johnson KC, Arya LA, Schembri M, Brown JS (2013). Long-term efficacy and safety of questionnaire-based initiation of urgency urinary incontinence treatment. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 209(3), 244.e1-9.
- Fischer GS, Hess R, Landeen BM, Weimer M, Zieth CR, Dong X, Clark S, Roberts MS (2013). Electronic reminders to patients within an interactive patient health record. Telemed J E Health, 19(6), 497-500.
- Rief JJ, Mitchell GR, Zickmund SL, Bhargava TD, Bryce CL, Fischer GS, Hess R, Kolb NR, Simkin-Silverman LR, McTigue KM (2013). Promoting patient phronesis: communication patterns in an online lifestyle program coordinated with primary care. Health Educ Behav, 40(3), 311-22.
- Thomas S, Ness RB, Thurston RC, Matthews K, Chang CC, Hess R (2013). Racial differences in perception of healthy body weight in midlife women: results from the Do Stage Transitions Result in Detectable Effects study. Menopause, 20(3), 269-73.
- Schwarz EB, Parisi SM, Williams SL, Shevchik GJ, Hess R (2012). Promoting safe prescribing in primary care with a contraceptive vital sign: a cluster-randomized controlled trial. Ann Fam Med, 10(6), 516-22.
- Buranosky R, Hess R, McNeil MA, Aiken AM, Chang JC (2012). Once is not enough: effective strategies for medical student education on intimate partner violence. Violence Against Women, 18(10), 1192-212.
- Snyder CF, Aaronson NK, Choucair AK, Elliott TE, Greenhalgh J, Halyard MY, Hess R, Miller DM, Reeve BB, Santana M (2012). Implementing patient-reported outcomes assessment in clinical practice: a review of the options and considerations. Qual Life Res, 21(8), 1305-14.
- Joffe H, Chang Y, Dhaliwal S, Hess R, Thurston R, Gold E, Matthews KA, Bromberger JT (2012). Lifetime history of depression and anxiety disorders as a predictor of quality of life in midlife women in the absence of current illness episodes. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 69(5), 484-92.
- Huang AJ, Hess R, Arya LA, Richter HE, Subak LL, Bradley CS, Rogers RG, Myers DL, Johnson KC, Gregory WT, Kraus SR, Schembri M, Brown JS (2012). Pharmacologic treatment for urgency-predominant urinary incontinence in women diagnosed using a simplified algorithm: a randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 206(5), 444.e1-11.
- Hess R, Thurston RC, Hays RD, Chang CC, Dillon SN, Ness RB, Bryce CL, Kapoor WN, Matthews KA (2012). The impact of menopause on health-related quality of life: results from the STRIDE longitudinal study. Qual Life Res, 21(3), 535-44.
- Williams SL, Parisi SM, Hess R, Schwarz EB (2012). Associations between recent contraceptive use and quality of life among women. Contraception, 85(3), 282-7.
- Xu H, Thurston RC, Matthews KA, Bryce CL, Hays RD, Kapoor WN, Ness RB, Hess R (2012). Are hot flashes associated with sleep disturbance during midlife? Results from the STRIDE cohort study. Maturitas, 71(1), 34-8.
- Abdel-Kader K, Fischer GS, Li J, Moore CG, Hess R, Unruh ML (2011). Automated clinical reminders for primary care providers in the care of CKD: a small cluster-randomized controlled trial. Am J Kidney Dis, 58(6), 894-902.
- Prairie BA, Scheier MF, Matthews KA, Chang CC, Hess R (2011). A higher sense of purpose in life is associated with sexual enjoyment in midlife women. Menopause, 18(8), 839-44.
- McTigue KM, Bhargava T, Bryce CL, Conroy M, Fischer GS, Hess R, Simkin-Silverman LR, Zickmund S (2011). Patient perspectives on the integration of an intensive online behavioral weight loss intervention into primary care. Patient Educ Couns, 83(2), 261-4.
- Thurston RC, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Everson-Rose SA, Hess R, Powell LH, Matthews KA (2011). Hot flashes and carotid intima media thickness among midlife women. Menopause, 18(4), 352-8.
- Thomas HM, Bryce CL, Ness RB, Hess R (2011). Dyspareunia is associated with decreased frequency of intercourse in the menopausal transition. Menopause, 18(2), 152-7.
- Mullins J, Cook R, Rinaldo C, Yablonsky E, Hess R, Piazza P (2011). Influenza-like illness among university students: symptom severity and duration due to influenza virus infection compared to other etiologies. J Am Coll Health, 59(4), 246-51.
- Osborn CY, Mayberry LS, Mulvaney SA, Hess R (2010). Patient web portals to improve diabetes outcomes: a systematic review. Curr Diab Rep, 10(6), 422-35.
- Cook RL, Xu X, Yablonsky EJ, Sakata N, Tripp JH, Hess R, Piazza P, Rinaldo CR (2010). Demographic and clinical factors associated with persistent symptoms after West Nile virus infection. Am J Trop Med Hyg, 83(5), 1133-6.
- Thackeray A, Waring J, Hoogeboom TJ, Nijhuis-van Der Sanden MWG, Hess R, Fritz JM, Conroy MB, Fernandez ME (2022). Implementing a Dutch Physical Therapy Intervention Into a U.S. Health System: Selecting Strategies Using Implementation Mapping. [Review]. Front Public Health, 10, 908484.
- Naik N, Hess R, Unruh M (2012). Measurement of health-related quality of life in the care of patients with ESRD: isn't this the metric that matters? [Review]. Semin Dial, 25(4), 439-44.
- McTigue KM, Hess R (2011). What role can the Internet play in preventing diabetes? [Review]. 1(1), 9-12.
- Hess R (2016). Capsule Commentary on Linzer et al., Work Condition Interventions Affect Quality and Errors in Primary Care? Results from the Healthy Work Place Study. Journal of General Internal Medicine.
- Corbelli JA, Hess R (2012). Hormone therapy prescribing trends in the decade after the Women's Health Initiative: how patients and providers have found a way to sleep better at night. Menopause, 19(6), 600-1.
- Secrest AM, Chren MM, Hopkins ZH, Chen SC, Ferris LK, Hess R (2019). Benefits to patient care of electronically capturing patient-reported outcomes in dermatology. [Letter to the editor]. Br J Dermatol, 181(4), 826-827.
- Hess R, Chang CH, Ness RB, Hays RD, Kapoor WN, Bryce CL (2011). The Associations of Menopause and Health-Related Quality of Life with Health Services Utilization: Results from the STRIDE Study [Abstract]. Med Decis Making, 31, E.
- Hess R, Hays R, Chang CH, Matthews KA (October 2010). Predictors of preserved physical functioning across the menopause: results from Do Stage Transitions Result in Detectable Effects [Abstract]. Annual Meeting of the North American Menopause Society.
- Xu H, Thurson R, Matthews KA, Bryce CL, Hays RD, Kapoor WN, Ness RB, Hess R (May 2010). Are hot flashes associated with sleep disturbance during mid-life? [Abstract]. Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society.
- Hess R, Hays RD, Bryce CL, Chang CH, Dillon SN, Ness RB (2010). Better sexual functioning is predictive of improved health-related quality of life across the menopausal transition [Abstract]. J Gen Intern Med, 25(Suppl 3), S232-3.
- Taylor R, Hess R (2010). Do attitudes towards aging and menopause vary by menopausal status, age, and symptoms? [Abstract]. J Gen Intern Med, 25(Suppl3), S256.
- Aaronson N, Choucair A, Elliot T, Greenhalgh J, Halyard M, Hess R, Miller D, Reeve B, Santana M, Snyder C (2011). User's guide to implementing patient-reported outcomes assessment in clinical practice. International Society for Quality of Life Research.
Podcasts & News