When it's warm outside, soup might be the last dish on your mind—unless it's a refreshing chilled soup. These cool concoctions have been gaining in popularity, and it's no wonder why. You can feature cool soup as an appetizer, the main course or even a dessert. So move over, gazpacho, there are some new cold soups in town.
This cool cucumber soup makes a refreshing start to your meal.
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
4 cups cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
1½ cups buttermilk
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, plus a few sprigs for garnish
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 ice cubes
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
- Place garlic, 3½ cups cucumbers, buttermilk, mint leaves, vinegar and ice cubes in a blender. Purée until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with the reserved cucumbers and mint sprigs.
Per 1-cup serving (makes four servings): 57 calories; 1 g fat; 4 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Sweet Potato Soup
This hearty and healthful soup makes a perfect main course.
6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
1 lime, juiced
2 cups low-fat milk
- Place potatoes and ginger in a large saucepan. Add stock and water, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cover, and simmer until the potatoes soften, about 30 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, purée potatoes until smooth. Mix in lime juice and milk.
- Chill before serving.
Per serving (makes eight servings): 187 calories; 2.2 g fat; 6 mg cholesterol; 37.8 g carbohydrates; 4.8 g protein; 5.2 g fiber; 291 mg sodium.
Cold Plum Soup
Instead of ice cream, try this sweet and healthful dessert soup.
½ cup frozen apple juice concentrate
1 pound plums (about five), pitted and coarsely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
3 ice cubes
1½ cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Bring apple juice concentrate to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low, add plums and cinnamon stick
- Cover and simmer until the plums are tender, about 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender. Add three ice cubes and purée until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and whisk in yogurt. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 45 minutes.
Per serving (makes four servings): 151 calories; 0 g fat; 2 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 52 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.