Feb 22, 2017
Causes of Nail Discoloration
If you’ve noticed that your fingernails aren’t looking quite the way they used to, don’t panic yet. There are a few fairly harmless reasons why nails can change color:
- using dark nail polish can leave nails stained close to the color of the polish or may leave them an orange-yellow shade;
- smoking can turn nails a brownish color; or
- reactions to certain medications could give nails a blue-ish tinge.
You Should Visit a Doctor when:
- you notice unexplained changes in the color of your nail;
- your nails appear to be abnormally thick;
- you have a nail that appears to have separated from the nail bed;
- you can't link your nail discoloration to nail polish, smoking; or
- if you nail discoloration is linked to other symptoms.