Sep 26, 2020
How to Improve Sleep
Welcome to tips for living a healthier life: the Healthy for Good Program (HFG). This week's tip (#8) is to Be Well.
As a part of the Healthy for Good healthy living movement, you can receive two health tips via a text message per week. Text "HealthyUtah" to 51555.
How to Sleep Better
Is your phone keeping you up at night? Whether it is the screen brightness or the anxiety that comes with a late-night text, improve your sleep hygiene with a few simple tips when it comes to using your technology before bed.
Tips on how to sleep better:
- Move it. Charge your device as far away from your bed as possible. The distance may help you feel less overwhelmed in general
- Dim it. Dim your screen or use a red filter app at night. The bright blue light of most devices can mess with your circadian rhythm and melatonin production.
- Set it. Try setting a bedtime alarm to remind you that it's time to wrap it up for the night.
- Lock it. If you've got a scrolling habit you need to kick, try an app-blocking app that makes it impossible to get lost in after-hours emails, social media or gaming.
- Block it. Put your phone on "do not disturb" mode to block it all out when you're trying to sleep.
HFG is a partnership with the American Heart Association.